Progress Thread Project Untamed 408

loyalblue

Jun 8, 2013
Katy, TX
Well, I thought I'd start a new progress thread. The thread I started before was basically a gathering of data and the parameters of the build changed quite drastically during the course of the many posts. Yesterday, 06-06-15, I picked up a 351w longblock from a guy for $250. Personally, I thought that was a pretty good price (you may chime in to say one way or the other), but I thought the price was right. I'm currently in the process of tearing it down - I got the heads off today. I'll get everything else out so I can get it over to the machinist early next week to have the block cleaned, magged, bored and to make sure everything is trued up before the rotating assembly is installed. I decided to go with a Scat 408 kit - forged 4.00" crank, forged H-beam rods, and forged pistons. If the block gives before the parts, so be it. When I can get me hands on an aftermarket block at least I'll have good parts to put in it.
As the build progresses, I'll let everyone know what kind of progress is being made and post pictures as well. I'm also pretty sure that I'll have a ton of questions along the way since this is the first 351w I've ever done...I've just worked on 302 based motors in the past so I'm quite excited about the power and torque this thing is going to make.
The gist of it so far is:
-Stroked 408 Roller
-TrickFlow 11R 205s
-TrickFlow R-Series Single Plane Intake
-Custom Grind Cam
-90mm Throttle Body
-90mm Mass Air
-TrickFlow 44 lb/hr Injectors
-Upgraded Fuel Lines/Fuel Rails
-MegaSquirt ECU
-TKO600
-3.73s (though not 100% on this)
-31-Spline Axels
-K-Memeber
-Full Suspension Modifications
-Roll Cage
-Upgraded Brakes (unsure where to go on this one)

I've always been a big fan of TrickFlow and the products they make. I might be able to go a different way if a good arguments is presented. Like I said, this is the "gist" of what I want to put together. Nothing is final, thought the short-block will be assembled in the next couple of weeks.. Chime in, advise me on current combination, let me know if I need to tweak anything. The pics posted are of me tearing down the 351 today.
351 Beginning.png
351 Rear.png
351 Headless.png

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

What machine shop did you decide to use?

Well, I'm gonna call Joey's tomorrow and get same rough prices on some services. Depending on what they charge I'll decide to use them or not. I like my guy out in Pasadena but...he's out in Pasadena. I'm gonna do a little more research on some other guys...see if there is a consensus on where people go, or if it's just a matter of preference.

For any shop in Houston, you'll get people 100% for/against them. My dad has used Owen's in Pearland for years, other family members use Houston Engine and Balancing. I was working on a 351 build a few months ago and most folks on WSM said to go with Joey's, especially the guys who know how to really make HP. All I know is who I WON'T take my motors to anymore from a 408 build a few years ago.

For any shop in Houston, you'll get people 100% for/against them. My dad has used Owen's in Pearland for years, other family members use Houston Engine and Balancing. I was working on a 351 build a few months ago and most folks on WSM said to go with Joey's, especially the guys who know how to really make HP. All I know is who I WON'T take my motors to anymore from a 408 build a few years ago.

Funny you say Houston Engine & Balancing...that's the shop I get my work done at...in Pasadena! I'm just gonna continue to go there, the guy is real cool, he doesn't BS. They've done 2 motors of mine in the past. I like them a lot. I was just testing the waters to see if there was anyone as reputable a little closer to Katy. Oh well, I'll drive for quality work.

Reactions: 1 users
Funny you say Houston Engine & Balancing...afters the shop I get my work done at...in Pasadena! I'm just gonna continue to go there, the guy is real cool, he doesn't BS. They've done 2 motors of mine in the past. I like them a lot. I was just testing the waters to see if there was anyone as reputable a little closer to Katy. Oh well, I'll drive for quality work.
Joeys did a good job on my heads for me, although I made an hour one way trip to pick them up after being told they were done... and they weren't.. had to wait another week. Probably still use them. USA racing engines does great work, but holy cow they're high. Probably use USA on my dart.

Reactions: 1 user
Well...I have her all torn down and ready for the machine shop. I'm dropping it off at my machinist Friday (6/19) to get cleaned, magged, bored and honed...gonna have it all done with torque plates so everything stays true. This motor is going to built right so it'll give me several years of fun before I have to tear her down again and do it all over again...which is fun, but it's not something I want to do 6 months into the motor. Anyway, I'll post pics when I get her back from the machinist.
Bottom End.png
Complete Teardown.png

Reactions: 1 users