Projector HID retrofit for S197 Mustang

Didier2014

May 7, 2010
Hi Guys, I'm Didier. 22 yo and the proud owner of a white '07 GT/CS conv with some handling mods.

I've been searching the forums for info on retrofitting HID projectors in a S197 Mustang, and I'll first list what I found.

- Advanced Lites offers a conversion for which I would have to send my headlights to them.
P7280009.JPG

- Retrosolutions seems to offer a DIY kit for the Mustang.
- I've never actually seen anyone with real projector HID's installed on his Mustang, except for this one:
v8is8x.jpg

I figered, next to the tools and some skill, I'd need:
- An extra set of headlights (in case I srew up).
- Some HID projectors from a luxery car.
- Ballasts.
- H13 HID wiring harness.
- Shrouds/ Bezels to finish the look.

My question to you guys, does anyone have experience in doing this and do you have any tips for parts?

The costs would equal or slightly exceed a pair of Mustang HID lights, but the light output would be a lot better next to the cut-off which is what projectors are known for. This prevents blinding oncoming traffic and it adds a nice blue-ish glow.

• Sponsors (?)

I agree, the 2010 style headlights would look better. But I'm looking for more light output, without blinding other traffic. The 2010 style headlights don't provide that much more light, real HID projectors would. I guess not many people have retrofitted HID projectors in their headlights, although it has been done with many other cars.

Another and easier solution, without cutting in the headlights would be a drop in, plug and play projector that fits into the original bulb fitting. (They are available for the Mustangs H13)
picture028xv5.jpg

2lcpnwj.jpg
351bul1.jpg

The idea is that you would only need to take off the lens (by heating it up, so requires some skill) of your headlight to plug this projector in.
Advantages:
- Cheaper (about $150)
- It can be returned to stock because your headlights remain uncut.
- Stock look, because you can keep the stock reflectors
- HID light output and the other advantages on a HID projector headlight.
Disadvantages:
- Not sure if they are very reliable, because its not OEM (made in China) This is why I'd like to hear some experiences.
- Must fit in the headlight, and I'm not sure if it does in the Mustang's headlights.

The beam seems to be quite OK, but not fantastic. I found a comparison with OEM projectors of luxery cars with this plug and play projector (G3) over here. Better than a 3-series BMW, but not as good as Lexus/Infinity projectors.

The first one in the youtube comparison is the Plug and Play G3 projector.

If anyone with a Mustang has experience with those PnP type of projectors, I would love to hear your opinions. Since its a kind of new product and made in China, I'm still a bit in doubt about it.

Well, I think you missed my point. The actual 2010 projector style headlights ARE HID, therefore they DO provide much more light.

If it was my car, I'd buy the 2010 style knockoff headlight assembly that I linked above (because they look good) and combine it with a HID retrofit kit ( HID Dual Beam Headlight Conversion Kit for 05-09 Mustang (H13 Bulb) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! ) to get higher output and whiter light...or if all you're after is improved lighting why not just install the HID retrofit kit in your stock headlight assembly and call it "good"? I had a 2008 GT with factory HIDs and that was essentially the setup it had (no projector style)...blinding oncoming traffic wasn't an issue regardless of the lack of projector lenses.

A friend of mine had a HID kit in his stock headlights, and it was very blinding. That's because reflectors (and also projectors) that are originally designed for halogen bulbs are not suitable for HID. Glare is the effect. The 2010 style headlights are also designed for H9 Halogen, so a HID kit in that headlight could cause trouble like glare and excessive heat that the projector is not designed for.

Because your '08 GT had factory HIDs the reflector was designed for HID, thus no glare and blinding other traffic. That's exactly what I want.

So the solution I'm looking for is buying a reflector that's designed for HID (Factory Mustang HIDs) or a projector designed for HID (retrofitting a luxery car projector, or a Plug-and-Play projector).

A friend of mine had a HID kit in his stock headlights, and it was very blinding. That's because reflectors (and also projectors) that are originally designed for halogen bulbs are not suitable for HID. Glare is the effect. The 2010 style headlights are also designed for H9 Halogen, so a HID kit in that headlight could cause trouble like glare and excessive heat that the projector is not designed for.

The HID kits produce less heat and are designed to replace an H13 bulb (which the reflectors are made for). You get higher output and whiter light. I haven't seen any reports of glare or heat being a big problem.

I think glueing a projector to a stock housing would create more problems with aiming, glare, or heat...plus they look like crap....but that's just my 2 cents.

Why don't you just install the factory HIDs if you're so concerned about aftermarket solutions not working out?

Glare is the main problem of PnP HID kits in stock halogen headlights. Example:
thetruth.jpg

A very clear confirmation and explanation for this can be found here (also Mustang oriented)
As I said there are only 3 possible solutions for me to get better light output. Factory HIDs, projector retrofit (also wider beam) or a PnP projector retrofit.

Factory HIDs are the simplest solution, but also expensive.
Retrofitting a projector would provide the best possible light output + light pattern. An OEM projector needs cutting the headlight, but if it's worth it, I'll be willing to do that. A PnP projector would be cheaper and easier to install. Thus, that could also be an option.

To decide on this, I'd like to hear some opinions and experiences on HID projectors.
I know there must be some guys with mustangs that did or want to do this. (like this one)

Thanks, actually I bought a new set of OEM Ford Mustang HID headlights + a wiring harness. By just adding 2 diodes like this DIY write-up from Silverhorse Racing says, the new headlights are supposed to work on my 07 GT/CS.

I wasn't initially planning to go with the OEM HID headlights, because of the superior design of a projector vs a reflector. But I got a great deal on this OEM set of HID headlights. Next to that, the lack of experience with real HID projectors in a Mustang was kind of a hint that it might not be that great of an idea to put a projector in the stock headlights.

Well, an experienced mechanic did the install and here's the result:

swcqyb.jpg

Only the DIY guide I found earlier, didn't work for my '07 Mustang.
So the mechanic had to come up with some of his own solutions to make it work.