proper camshafts selection

Joes95GT said:
No, I understood that. Sometimes I type things that don't sound critical to me but others take offense to them. I just wanted to make sure you understood that.A big one. :D

Joe

I type things that sound critical to me and sound Dickheaded to others
:D

• Sponsors (?)

95snoozer said:
I type things that sound critical to me and sound Dickheaded to others
:D
Sure do. :D That's what I like though. My skin is pretty thick and I have a good sense of humor.

I like debating with people when I'm wasting time between classes, too. What I don't know, I can learn about in about 30 minutes, and yes, I will know it all at the end of those 30 minutes :D.

Most of the time, it's me not knowing when and when to not offer my opinion. Most have probably figured out that I can ruffle some feathers - I've got plenty of opinions to go around. :)

Joe

What are the specs for the 2031 cam? I'm running the F cam with my combo now and I know that theres a better OTS cam out there that will give me more power. I don't want to get a custom cam just yet because I will be changing my shortblock soon to a 331.

Like stated above in joes95gt posts, in a nut shell is what I have found in all my reading from custom cam guys/flow articles about gt40heads, and the numbers they like in relation to cams.

I have one question, and I think I am one of those that is on the "newer" cusp of this information. How does porting a set of gt40 heads change there needs for lift and dur.? I mean my exh. ports are ahellava lot better and shaped as well as the intake side of things that has to change the needs as they should flow 230+cfm now on the int. Also a fairly large bump in comp. (looking at high 10:1-11:1 range now)will enable a few diff. peramiters to change I would guess.

Also in my post I said I did not like some of the numbers but I liked the dur. diff. I meant by this that there was a good split in lift/dur. that was almost perfect for the gt40 heads (gen. around .008-.012 more lift and what 6-8 in dur.) all in favor of the exh. The part I did not like with the TFS1 was the lift was over .500 as around .490-.500 is the gen. max from what I have read about the gt40 heads stock.

Anyway with stock gt40 heads, TFS1 cam, and a tmoss ported stock gt lower I made 231hp and 280ftlbs at the wheels on a shortblock that had 7cyl. (had a drop of 33-35% in #4) running pig rich at an avg. AFR of like 12.4 avg. with the low being 11.7 N/A. I could prob. scan it in if you guys would want to see it.

stangboy said:
What are the specs for the 2031 cam? I'm running the F cam with my combo now and I know that theres a better OTS cam out there that will give me more power. I don't want to get a custom cam just yet because I will be changing my shortblock soon to a 331.

my friends have had GREAT success with the comp xe274 in their 331/347s with afr 185s taht and the 282 if you can go that big

dave95gt made 390/390 with his 282 in his 347

http://compcams.com/Technical/CurrentCatalog/HTML/76-81.asp

there are 5 347 95-95s i know of specifically here running these cams. all are in the 11s-9s(on the bottle) and running very well

the e-cam isn't worth it IMO. step up to the F-cam. More duration, more lift. Running 1.7s with mine.

With your combo? what about future plans? if you plan to supercharge it later, buy a blower cam now.

blksn955.o/Final5-0

blksn955.0 you said you ran a TFS-1 cam in your stang with stock GT-40 heads and a t-moss ported lower? Do you recommend this cam for my application?

Grady -thanks so much for trying to stick to my original post, I read the links you posted to the message and didn't really find what I was looking for. I guess like you said, most of the information is on newer stuff and the older things fall of the mark. I'm still sticking to the guns though and getting my stock heads ported so I'm still looking for the right cam. I also read a message on here that said why change the cam? I thought it would be a good idea since I already would have the heads off, you know?

Whew...looks like proper cam selection is a headache to all

there is not a good answer?

everyone runs something different and has there own opinions, haha.

I've heard a few cams mentioned more then others so I'll keep those in mind. Thanks again

Rylan

OH and PROKILLER -no plans of supercharging, just want to be a little bit ahead of the pack, this should be it, when I'm done with this a few years down the road I'll throw a build 429 in it, haha (DREAMS OF THE 94' BOSS)

Choosing a cam is a pain...its as bad as choosing an exhaust set-up...decisions, decisions... :bang:

While its opened up and your game...a cam is a must...it changes the whole attitude and sound of the motor...you may have some issues getting it dialed in...we all have had some...but it can be overcome...i have had excellant results with my EEC and cant complain about any driveability issues...mines always run the balls...

IF I upgrade to Alums this winter, my cams prolly coming out and a custom will go in, why....just because I like to try new stuff out...but I'm also going to have a chip burned once a custom goes in..
I recently had a chip burned. A Superchip, on this Cobra...was very impressed with what can be tuned into it...for 400.00 its a great deal....came out with 80HP more than it when it with..took 6 pulls to dial it in...

From what I have read over the years on here....the 2031 (1.7 cam) the 19 (1.6) the 55111 all have good results with our EEC....B/E/F cams all have been run to with good results...to me, If you can tune your car somewhat you can tame any of these....I have self tuned mine FROM WHAT THE BOYS ON HERE HAVE TAUGHT ME.. and dyno tuned it afterwards with only timing and AFR tuning being needed....Like i said...mine runs the balls and has never given me any issues...the biggest part is if you can tune it and then making sure the state of the motor and tune are good...chit I only had to find the primo idle set-up and alls good....thats where most people get blown away....surging/cold and hot starts/idling....Mine pulls 17-18 lbs of vacuum idling...I feel this is a plus with a stock EEC....I still run the 19 injectors too. All i have run is the Steeda 19 and these are the results I have from that....
Would I try another cam again...Hell ya.... :D

ff2.jpg

for_honor said:
Grady -thanks so much for trying to stick to my original post, I read the links you posted to the message and didn't really find what I was looking for. I guess like you said, most of the information is on newer stuff and the older things fall of the mark. I'm still sticking to the guns though and getting my stock heads ported so I'm still looking for the right cam.

I totally understand about your budget and the desire to find the right cam.

I remember back when the GT40 stuff was all there was the typical street combo with all the bolton stuff would dyno in the range of 245 to 275 RWHP. If anyone got in the 280 range then the whole forum went crazy to find out what that guy did to make all that HP. As time passed the RWHP benchmark did begin to climb. Again I hope to find some dyno chart of those combos and maybe some others will put some up for us to look at.

I also read a message on here that said why change the cam? I thought it would be a good idea since I already would have the heads off, you know?

You bet! That is a lotta work to do over cause you did not do the cam change when you did the head swap.

Whew...looks like proper cam selection is a headache to all

there is not a good answer?

You should be able to find info and dyno charts to get an idea of what you can expect cause tons of those combos were built.

I still think that the GT40P heads have the same basic characteristics as your GT40's even though they have some differences and plenty of guys on this forum are using them box stock and yours are gonna be ported so you could see how their combos have turned out.

everyone runs something different and has there own opinions, haha.

I've heard a few cams mentioned more then others so I'll keep those in mind. Thanks again

Rylan

No problem :D

Later
Grady

ProKiller said:
the e-cam isn't worth it IMO. step up to the F-cam. More duration, more lift. Running 1.7s with mine.
I wouldn't say that. Big duration and tight LSA is the enemy with a computer like ours. As I stated previously, it's not about lift or duration, it's about both: lobe area. An E-cam with 1.7 rockers has more lobe area than a F-cam with 1.6 rockers does. I'd take the E with 1.7's any day of the week over the F.

From what I gather from professionals in the business regarding SBF stuff is the following: don't over-cam the car. For simplicity, we'll use easy numbers....

Say for example, custom-cam-grinder A makes me a "perfect" cam for my car that is .550" lift and 225* duration on both sides. Now, I pick two (2) OTS cams. One with .530" lift and 220* of duration on both sides, and the other with .570" lift and 230* duration on both sides. We are +/- .020" lift and +/- 5* from perfect on each grind. The smaller cam has WAY more potential. Why would I say such a silly thing? Because the smaller cam has the ability to be "bigger". The bigger cam can't get "smaller".

Just me ranting...

Joe

for_honor said:
blksn955.0 you said you ran a TFS-1 cam in your stang with stock GT-40 heads and a t-moss ported lower? Do you recommend this cam for my application?

I want to see what my numbers are with this cam and the ported gt40 heads before I rec. it. I liked it when it was working with my unported gt40 heads though. Like I mentioned I had a few issues with it but nothing major, also I had plans of getting a tweecer in my planning so I was willing to put up with issues no matter what since I knew I was going the route (or a custom dyno tune untill apten moved out of state) of eec modding.

I will scan my dyno charts so you can see what I had and PM them to you. Just take into acount that I had 7cyl. on that dyno run so it kinda jumps up and dowm bad the whole time.

I'm glad someone mentioned the Crower 15511 cam. I'd also like to see someone somewhere along the line try the Crower 15510 cam in a 94-95.

As far as torque goes, a well matched GT40 head, cam and ported Cobra intake is gonna make PLENTY of that. My car makes 330ft-lbs peak and average just under 300ft-lbs over the 2,000-5,600 rpm band now that it is tuned. Rio peaked at 295ft-lbs and averaged 280ft-lbs over the 3,000-5,600 rpm band (too bad his dyno didn't go below 3,000).

So I'm guessing I'll have to match my lifters with my cam selection??? Imagine that another subject I'm in the blue about, you guys have any book recomendations for me to read, haha? Or since I'm 50/50 on the Steeda #19 and FMS B303, what will I need????

sorry for the tons of question, just want to do it right the first time!

I'm narrowing it down though and that's a step in the right direction

For a fact: port/polished stock Cobra GT-40s (by thumper), ported stock lower (by T-moss) one of the above two cams and what size lifters (since it's recommended)???

Thanks all,
Rylan

95snoozer said:
my friends have had GREAT success with the comp xe274 in their 331/347s with afr 185s taht and the 282 if you can go that big

dave95gt made 390/390 with his 282 in his 347

http://compcams.com/Technical/CurrentCatalog/HTML/76-81.asp

there are 5 347 95-95s i know of specifically here running these cams. all are in the 11s-9s(on the bottle) and running very well

Yeah, I've seen a few people with good results from the XE274 in 331s and 347s. If I don't get a custom cam for the 331 that WILL be the cam I get. As a matter of fact I was recommending it to a friend of mine for his 331. But for now I just want a cam that will make this 302 run really well and I think the XE274 might be a little too much cam for this 302. Or am I wrong? If any of you cam experts think it'll work good with my current setup please let me know because I'd be glad to get it. Yesterday I was looking at the XE258 and XE266 cams and they seem like they might be little better for the 302 but I'm open to suggestions.