pros and cons of 5.0 vs 4.6

• Sponsors (?)

I'm pretty sure this is searchable, but you'll get some biased opinions in this section

Our 5.0 has low end torque that is a little harder to find with the modular mill, and generally we will say that the 302 is easier to work on, but I think that has alot to do with old school mentality. New tuners find the 4.6's just as simple to work on due to their computer smarts. Some will say that pushrod parts are cheaper, but that gap is closing every year with the mod motors becoming more and more common

The 4.6 2V was kind of a dog in the first few years, but has come along in the latter years of production before the 3V, and will respond nicely to boost, albeit not so much as a 3 or 4 valve.

The best argument for us 5.0 enthusiasts used to be the sound....nothing beats the growl of a pissed off 302 based set up when you get onto the loud pedal.

That said, some of the 4V Cobra's have a "make me happy in the pants" scream at WOT...gets me every time

I'm sure others will add. That's just my .02

Personally if i was looking to buy a mustang right now i would get a 96-98 cobra (that is if a 03 mach 1 or 03/04 cobra was out of my reach $ wise).

The 5.0 is getting really outdated. I want to know how easy a swap will be for the new 5.0 into the 4.6 sn95 mustangs. (if easy at all).

But honestly, i say buy a cheap 94-98 body and throw a LSX in it. Ford just cant compete with the LSX platform for the $ spent.

whats the LSX platform. and thought about trading my truck for a mach 1. i really like styling on them. but where i live i need a truck. but i dont know i have quite a few options just so hard to make one. ive always liked the 5.0 and was really skeptical on the 4.6 especially from 96-99 or so. but the ole lady doesnt wanna see me get rid of the truck but i would love to pick up a mach 1.

whats the LSX platform. and thought about trading my truck for a mach 1. i really like styling on them. but where i live i need a truck. but i dont know i have quite a few options just so hard to make one. ive always liked the 5.0 and was really skeptical on the 4.6 especially from 96-99 or so. but the ole lady doesnt wanna see me get rid of the truck but i would love to pick up a mach 1.

Its the engine platform that GM uses. LS1, LS2, LS3, and then a butt load of car/truck engines that are identical pretty much but go under a different name.

Anywho, its looked down upon on many ford sites by the "i bleed ford blue" crowd. But i like american power. I like the mustang body...and just think the engines fall short.

Anyhow, now a days i think if i was shopping i'd opt for a 96-98 cobra...slap a blower on it and call it good.

Reactions: 1 user
actually thats only true with the 4v 4.6 shortblock not the 2v shortblock

The 2v block is much stronger than the 5.0. The 4.6 block itself can handle upwards of 1000hp. It is true that the Teksid blocks found in the 96-98 cobras are significantly stronger still. They can handle somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500hp. (the newer cobras were somewhere in between) But you are right the SHORT BLOCK out of a 4.6 can not handle any more than a 5.0 due to weak internals! (unless we are talking termis, their shortblock can handle much more!) Where the 5.0 block is the weak point. In my post I was referring to the block only, not the short block.:nice:

The 5.0 motor is an old school big bore engine. Big bore engines are easier to make power with. Unfortunately the block is much more limited on strength. It can't handle the same power as the 4.6. It also has a 2 bolt main which makes it more likely to get crank walk. The 4.6 was designed basically as a truck motor. It's a small bore engine with a lot more stroke and deck height. It can handle more RPM because it has OHC and deeper block skirts, which cut down on crank motion and vibration. The small bore keeps the detonation down which is why those engines generally work better with boost than a 5.0. Usually a small bore hurts head flow a lot because of valve size and shrowding, but with 4V heads, it's really not an issue.

The LSX engines are so succesful becuase it's a big bore engine matched with deeper squirts and a more modern head design. You get that same big bore power without giving up block strength or RPM. Unfortunately, they are also pushrod engines which hurts performance. However, for most street applications it's not even an issue.

Kurt

The 2v block is much stronger than the 5.0. The 4.6 block itself can handle upwards of 1000hp. It is true that the Teksid blocks found in the 96-98 cobras are significantly stronger still. They can handle somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500hp. (the newer cobras were somewhere in between) But you are right the SHORT BLOCK out of a 4.6 can not handle any more than a 5.0 due to weak internals! (unless we are talking termis, their shortblock can handle much more!) Where the 5.0 block is the weak point. In my post I was referring to the block only, not the short block.:nice:

:nice: gotcha thats why I specifically stated shortblock but all good.

if you posted this same thread in the mod motor forum you would get the sway for the 4.6, here you'll get 5.0.

i think it really depends on your end goals. If you want a simple to mod to death car then 5.0. If you want something to just drive around and mod a bit then 4.6. They both have a potential for big power with the right budget.