Pulled my engine this weekend

Rekokulous

Mar 30, 2005
I'm in the process of a P&P PI swap. I got the engine out on Saturday and put the new heads/cams in on Sunday. I lined everything up according to the "timing a 4.6". I turned the engine over by hand and everything fells right. I plan on dropping the engine back in next weekend. I've got a couple of questions.

Is there anyway to verify that the timing is set up correctly other than verifying that there is no PTV clearance issues?

I replaced the TTY bolts with ARP head studs, what is the correct torque spec for them? (I torqued them to 70lb/ft)

On the patriot performance timing instructions it said that the passanger side cam shaft should have the peak of the first lobe at 7o'clock when the keyway is at 12o'clock. My new and old cam shafts lobes are at about 4 o'clock. WTF?

I'm installing LTs with the head swap, can I bolt the headers to the motor and drop them in as one? How did you do your LT install? What would you do different?

• Sponsors (?)

Rekokulous said:
I'm installing LTs with the head swap, can I bolt the headers to the motor and drop them in as one? How did you do your LT install? What would you do different?

Well... considering you cant get em on when the engine is in there, I'd say go ahead and swap em while the engine's out :p

97v6Silver said:
you pulled the whole motor just to do a pi swap :scratch:

i would if I had SN95. Do header install, paint valve covers, clean engine, paint them, many thing u can do easily when motor is out. U see, don't know in V-6, but in V-8 powered mustang, there is just no room to do anyting in there..:nonono:

Ya, its really tight in the engine compartment. I couldn't imagine doing a head swap with the engine in. Plus I'm doing a clutch at the same time.

So does anybody know any more answers to any of my questions. :shrug: