Pulling motor AGAIN...need some help

• Sponsors (?)

It is easier than pulling it with the tranny , same job , nothing different, just go slow and make sure you dont break nothing...make sure to support the trans when you pull the motor..you will damage the x-member or the output shaft..

It's easier to pull the engine alone. If you have pulled an engine and tranny together, you should have no problem with the engine alone.

Of course start by removing everything from the engine to get it out. Don't forget about the sneaky ground strap that you always find when you try to pull the motor. Every car has one. :D

Pull the radiator so it doesn't get damaged. Unbolt your motor mounts. Lift the motor as little as possible and slide it forward to pull the clutch off the tranny input shaft. It might be necessary (or easier) to put a floor jack under the tranny bellhousing and lift it up a bit, so it is aligned with the motor after you start to lift it. That will help seperate the engine from the tranny.

Asuming you are going to remove the clutch from the engine while it's out, make sure you have the correct clutch allignment tool when you re-install the engine.

Good luck!

Jeff

The only thing I am pulling it is for the freeze plugs to be replaced. I just finished building the motor, so everything is about new. And now this....I haven't even put 5 miles on it. It makes me depressed...I've been without my car for so long.

Don't get discouraged, all of us that work on our own cars have ran into problems that have kept our cars down a LOT longer than we thought.

As far as pulling it just to replace freeze plugs, I've had to pull an engine to replace the oil pan after I accidentally put a floor jack under the oil pan. This is RIGHT after I installed the new motor. It sucks, but it happens.

It'll be worth it when you are done, and you'll have learned how to do something new this time.

Jeff

Hey, I am also a member of the "put the floor jack through the oilpan club," too! Had to pull my 255 two barrel motor only a couple weeks before having the 302 ready to go in, just to get the pan welded up. Car made a huge mess just running in the driveway with the leak!

Really exclusive company here!

rd said:
Hey, I am also a member of the "put the floor jack through the oilpan club," too! Had to pull my 255 two barrel motor only a couple weeks before having the 302 ready to go in, just to get the pan welded up. Car made a huge mess just running in the driveway with the leak!

Really exclusive company here!

Ah yes. I've got a whole list of stupid things I've done working on cars, and those are only the ones I remember.

That really sucks you had to pull the motor to fix that, right before you pulled the motor for good. Oh well, I'll bet you've never done that to an oil pan again. I know I haven't. :D

Jeff