QA1 vs. Edelbrock IAS

Dec 9, 2004
What are the pro's and cons of either shock? I have a '73 Mach 1 with a more or less stock suspension and I'm looking for a firm but comfortable ride ( if such a thing exists). The car will be used for street driving. No track use at all. Any feedback?

• Sponsors (?)

The Eds are a good shock, a good value for it's cost. The difference is you can tune the Q's to match your driving preference and/or suspension rate moreso than the Eds.

I have done both several times and twice the Eds were wrong for the spring rate, too little dampening. Having said that, I think if you select the right spring for the Eds, they will be better than the Qs due to the IAS valving.

I just wish they made Bilsteins, then it would be an easier choice., it's a tough call. Given the cost, I would do the Ed's.

I just wish they made Bilsteins, then it would be an easier choice.

Wish granted.

largepnms2411b.jpg

Maier Racing has many variants of Bilsteins for the classic Mustang. Go here http://www.maierracing.com/ , hover the mouse on the Catalog button, Early Model, Suspension, and click Shocks. $350/four base price, more for customs.

Attachments

• largepnms2411b.jpg
    largepnms2411b.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 137
I have the Bilsteins from Maier as well. I ended up with the Sports with my spring combination (their 700 front / 200 rear). I have yet to autocross this combo, but will in early May.

Mike Maier told me that the rear shocks have identical valving in all three variants. The fronts are the only ones that change.

I hope to have mine dynoed soon and look at figure out the percentage ciritical damping to see where they lie. That's a few things down the list though.

I swapped out IAS for Bilstien streets but haven't driven the car yet. I had Bilstiens on a 94 stang and they were fantasic.
I wish Gabriel still made adjustable shocks for these old cars. Those were good and didn't kill your wallet.

Anyone looking for some slightly used IAS, PM me. I have a full set sitting in the garage.

I swapped out IAS for Bilstien streets but haven't driven the car yet. I had Bilstiens on a 94 stang and they were fantasic.
I wish Gabriel still made adjustable shocks for these old cars. Those were good and didn't kill your wallet.

Anyone looking for some slightly used IAS, PM me. I have a full set sitting in the garage.

S-Car - What did you not like about the IAS's? Just curious.

Tim

They are a good shock, but a bad fit for my application.
San Jose is in the top 5 cities with the worst roads in the country. I have a convertible and I'm getting a lot of chasiss flex (even with sub-frames, etc). I'm looking for a good balance between support and not bouncing/flexing over a bump. With a coupe or FB this wouldn't be an issue (but you still gotta stiffen em up).

The shocks mount upside down so I had to pull them out to get my export brace off to get the motor out so I figured I'd try the bilstiens. I may go to softer springs and seam weld the entire car if that doesn't do it.

If that's true, Metro Detroit is 1 through 4.

maybe 2-4, Lubbock has the worst rods I've ever driven on and i've lived all over Texas. this only applies to roads in cities/towns however. for state highways and interstates no one has worse roads than New Mexico!!!!!! and anyone can argue with me until they are blue in the face and I WILL NOT budge from that opinion at all.

that said, there was someplace that had gotten Gabriel to repro those shocks, typically called Stryders a few years back but i don't know if they still do or not. this was also after the Tenneco buyout as well (Tenneco owns Monroe and Rancho among others)

That's right, Stryders. It might be worth it to see if they are still available.

I dunno bout other parts of the country, but the thing about the worst roads was on national news a couple of weeks ago. I wish I could remember all the cities they mentioned and the correct order.

OT, but while I'm sniveling about roads.. How's gas prices where you are? :mad: