Question about valve covers

Hi.
I have a 1965 mustang that has had an engine swap done before I purchased the car.
It originally had a 289, it currently has a 351w from a 1989 F350.
I want to replace the valve covers and add headers, but want to be sure I order the correct parts.
Are the valve covers interchangeable between years?
Should I order headers for 1965 or for the 1989 engine?
Sorry for the noob question, but I've been on Google for a couple days now and still don't have a clear answer.

I appreciate any help you could toss my way

• Sponsors (?)

This is just my opinion based on minimal experience and what I have seen/read. The same valve cover will fit on a 289, 302, or 351W regardless of year. The issue is you have to make sure that the valve cover is designed to fit the head you are using if you are using aftermarket heads. Trick Flow, Edelbrock, AFR. Even then I think most are inner changeable. The other thing you have to look out for is rocker height. If you are running certain kinds of rockers/mounts they can be tall and require a taller valve cover or you might have to remove baffles from inside the covers. If it was me doing this I would pick out the valve covers that I thought I wanted then call the place I was going to buy them from to make sure that they were going to work for my application.

As for the headers. They will need to be specific for a 351 swap into a 65 mustang. The year the motor was manufactured wouldn't be that much of an issue. The issue is a 65 mustang never came with a 351 in it, so you have to have application specific swap headers. I'm sure they are out there as people have put all kinds of motors in 65 mustangs. As far as headers go I believe @JMGlasgow is the resident expert on this site. Maybe he can chime in and give some advice on the subject.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I never claimed to be an expert on any subject. I'm here to learn and talk with others who enjoy the Mustang car hobby. There aren't many other Mustang enthusiasts around my area either.

My only "expertise" if you can call it that is the fact that I was an auto mechanic for a majority of my working life, and I now fix Kubota tractors and equipment for a living.

No problem.
I'm hoping my car gets done correctly soon as well. And I hope to move back in to my house before fall. It's been a tough year so far.