Question on manual transmissions

05BlackV6

Aug 25, 2005
Earth
I was encouraged to post this here by a member. In the S197 talk forum I posted a thread about V6 stangs Vs GTs to compare them.

Anyway, I love my V6 and have decided AGAINST trading for a GT, but I am considering something else. The GT wouldn't be prudent for me because A) I'm young and insurance would suck, B) I'm not interested in more speed. The six is fast enough. I wanted a manual trans initially. I wanted a fully loaded top of the line V6, but couldn't find a manual on the car I wanted. Anyway, I've always thought my car was missing something even though I love it. I think I've found out what it is. Everytime I think of a sports car I like it has a manual Trans. I drove one once on a V6 3000GT and loved every minute of it.

Anyway, I'm thinking of having my Ford Dealer put a manual trans into my car.

I was wondering what kind of money we are probably talking about? Is it worth it for what I want? Has anyone done this? What is it like driving the V6 manual? Is there any danger to the car? etc......

Any advice and assistance is appreciated.

Thank You in advance,

• Sponsors (?)

Installed by ford? man i really dont think its going to be worth it. As much as i prefer a manual transmission, the new 5speed auto is pretty good.
Id say a grand or so for the trans. 4-5 hours of labor. TCM, wiring harness, maybe a diff driveshaft?

fazm83 said:
Installed by ford? man i really dont think its going to be worth it. As much as i prefer a manual transmission, the new 5speed auto is pretty good.
Id say a grand or so for the trans. 4-5 hours of labor. TCM, wiring harness, maybe a diff driveshaft?

So, you saying 1500-2k depending on where he lives? That is rough, 2k is a lot to throw down. The autos are pretty kick but on these cars once they are tuned.

Tune

Tuning that Stang might just be the "edge" you are looking for. Scrming absolutely loves his automatic, but he has a tune, an MMR Intake, and Zex... However, the tune and intake should be enough to give you a more "seat of the pants" feel when zipping around town. How long have you had your car? Have you talked to your dealer about trade-in value? But when he tells you how much value it lost just driving off the lot you are going to :puke:

you know I've talked to a bunch of people and they all say forget it. The car is too new and it's a waste of cash. After listening to them, I think I agree. I'd like to do it, but then I say to myself "$2000 away from my Viper fund" and I'm quiet. Anyway thanks for your help all. Any other comments or suggestions welcome. I may still talk to my dealer about it though. I'll keep you posted one my decision.

i love my auto smooth as silk. mind you i also have a tune but opted not to change my shift point like screamin. i guess when i retune due to the duals i installed ill have him make 2 tunes one for fun and one for run!

If you buy a new tranny and have Ford or anyone else install it, your looking at least in the 6-7k neighborhood. Remember you need the pedels, slave cylinder, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, crossmember, wiring harness, computer, shifter, console parts, bellhousing, and oh yea a tranny and the labor to install, Im guessing 2 days in the shop at $75-100 an hour for shop labor.

Lets face it you probley cant afford that kind of cash or you would be driving a GT now.

Occasionally I also miss a 5spd, but I just go drive around during rush hour, I get over the 5spd real fast.

Twofocused said:
If you buy a new tranny and have Ford or anyone else install it, your looking at least in the 6-7k neighborhood.
Lets face it you probley cant afford that kind of cash or you would be driving a GT now.

Occasionally I also miss a 5spd, but I just go drive around during rush hour, I get over the 5spd real fast.

to 05BlkV6 / I'd suggest finding someone with a similar V6 who's tired of jamming gears and work out a swap .... ;)