questions questions questions

iwannarace67

Sep 24, 2001
Chicago, IL
I'm going to repaint my engine bay sometime in the next couple weeks and need a little advice. I've already removed all the front end body panels including fenders. I was wondering if I can just hand sand the engine bay/frame to scuff it up a lil bit then just spray it with some rattle can "engine bay paint"? What grit should sandpaper should I use? Will I need primer? Any paint reccomendations?

Second I've been thinking about picking up a fox body roller block for the stang. I was wondering if the roller block will bolt up to a C4 trans and how do I convert it to carburation?

Car is 67 coupe.

• Sponsors (?)

1. Your engine bay- it depends on how badly the current paint is chipping, or craking. If the piant job on there now is in solid condition, you can simply powerwash it down, and then sand it with a 500-600 grit wet dry paper. Then seal it up with a good primer/sealer, and spray it with your choice of paint.

2. The roller motor will bolt up to a c-4 with no problems. You will just need an intake manifold, and a carb, and presto you are set.

iwannarace67 said:
I'm going to repaint my engine bay sometime in the next couple weeks and need a little advice. I've already removed all the front end body panels including fenders. I was wondering if I can just hand sand the engine bay/frame to scuff it up a lil bit then just spray it with some rattle can "engine bay paint"? What grit should sandpaper should I use? Will I need primer? Any paint reccomendations?

Second I've been thinking about picking up a fox body roller block for the stang. I was wondering if the roller block will bolt up to a C4 trans and how do I convert it to carburation?

Car is 67 coupe.

I recommend chemically stripping the apron sheet metal. Put a oil drip pan under the car then do a patch at a time; meaning about an 8"x8" square. Apply brush on stripper (not spray stripper) then after suitable time delay simply wipe off with paper towels (wear chemical gloves and eye protection).

After all the gunk is gone, sand and prime. Rattle cans are okay but the paint thus sprayed is not very durable. If you use this kind of paint then use a dull black color. Know that you'll be constantly touching it up for the lifetime of your car project rather than have a maintenance-free engine bay. Use professional spray gear for best results and least upkeep in the future.

No comments on using C4 with 5.0L HO motor. I've not done this specific swap before. I have done a 5.0L HO with manual trans however. '67 motor mounts will be fine. The 5.0L motor does not know if its got a carb up top or an EFI unit so there's no concern here. I use a Holley Street Avenger 570 cfm on my 5.0L with good results. Remember to block the smog ports in the back of the 5.0L heads or you'll have a hell of an exhaust leak on your hands. Appropriate bolts cut to fit work fine for plugs.