quick fuel pump question

93GTosu

May 5, 2005
fuel pump question (i dont wanna go boom)

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of replacing my fuel pump. I have the new one basically in already and am at the point of hooking up the wires.

I've run across a few things I need to ask about...

First, my old pump wires were connected via a connector. The new pump will not accept the connector so I assume I need to cut the wires and splice on the two female spade connectors included in the packaging. Correct?????

That brings me to my main concern. The two wires already on there have "butt connectors" in the middle of them as if they were previously spliced. The red one has bare wire exposed. is that ok in a gas tank?????????? :shrug: and if i do splice these connectors on, should I use heat shrink or something to get a real good seal??

thanks a bunch!

• Sponsors (?)

Can't really say for sure about the wiring.

I just replaced my walbro 255 in tank on Friday. I had wondered how they "wired an electrical connector in the tank". I was able to use the previous connector but was really surprised to see a plastic covered connector splice in the wiring. :shrug:

yeah hmmm....

I think I should probably put heat-shrink on it. I just figured I'd ask because I couldnt come up with anything through searching.

How will heat shrink hold up to gasoline? I imagine those wires get gasoline on them....being in the tank and all....

Heat shrink is not affected by gasoline. I have used it and it does not deteriorate or soften in gasoline.

Using two new wires without a splice in the middle is the best way to connect the pump to power. That way you get max power to the pump and no possibility of the splice connectors corroding and making a high resistance connection. High resistance connections get hot and can overheat. Solder two new wires onto the brass tabs on the fuel pump mount. Cover the joints where you soldered the wires with heat shrink. Crimp two new slip on terminals on the wire ends and you are done. You can be extra neat and cover the slip on terminals with heat shrink. Be sure to check the slip on terminals and make sure that they fit tightly. AutoZone has a Ford terminal kit that has the correct terminals.

Note the polarity of the wires when you connect the fuel pump. If you connect it backwards, things won't work correctly.

Heat shrink is not affected by gasoline. I have used it and it does not deteriorate or soften in gasoline.

Using two new wires without a splice in the middle is the best way to connect the pump to power. That way you get max power to the pump and no possibility of the splice connectors corroding and making a high resistance connection. High resistance connections get hot and can overheat. Solder two new wires onto the brass tabs on the fuel pump mount. Cover the joints where you soldered the wires with heat shrink. Crimp two new slip on terminals on the wire ends and you are done. You can be extra neat and cover the slip on terminals with heat shrink. Be sure to check the slip on terminals and make sure that they fit tightly. AutoZone has a Ford terminal kit that has the correct terminals.

Note the polarity of the wires when you connect the fuel pump. If you connect it backwards, things won't work correctly.

once again, you rock! thanks a bunch. :D

(87coupe thank you too)