Quick...have stock balancer...can't get it on...any tips?

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
Well I bought a stock OEM balancer and I can't get it started on the keyway since it is to far back there and can't get a bolt in there because the balancer is to far out to try to push it on...

We put antiseize on the balancer...should I put it in the Oven (wipe the antiseize off ofcourse) for 20 minutes at 250*? or what?

Any tips to get it on there...I got to get this on by tomorrow afternoon...

All tips welcome :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

yeah, cevtv is right. If you don't want to damage the threads of your cranksnout, or the balancer itself an installer will definitely help. Plus most of the chain parts stores' rental programs are actually free: you pay a deposit and get your money back when you bring the tool back.

Hmm...not a bad idea about renting but that just isnt' going to work in my schedule tomorrow...I know I have no patience...

Besides the last time I rented a tool (balancer removal tool)...it was the wrong one and I didnt' know until I had tried to pull off the balancer...

So how long do I heat the balancer up for and to what temp?

Obviously I don't want to tap it on when it is hot or warm because I could mess up the crank pulley mounting point...or "imbalance" the balancer...

Ive never had a problem installing a balancer... you sure you have the right one? And you dont need a tool to put the balancer on, you just need one to take it off.

I remember one time though I replaced the balancer on a 88 T-bird and I had to (lightly) hit the new balancer with a hammer a couple of times to get it on enough to get the crank bolt threaded.

guys bake Romac's all the time. i dont recall the temps used. also, the install tool has a longer shank than the crank bolt itself - it will allow you to "pull" the balancer on, even if it just barely starts onto the crank (where the crank bolt would be too short).
it can be helpful to have some spare metal pipe stock around to use for shims (while tightening the install too up as it recesses into the balancer hub).

good luck.

Well I got the balancer on...it went on easy...didn't have to heat it up...I guess my friend wasn't getting it on the keyway...so I grabbed it and got it on the keyway and just pushed the balancer on with a breakover bar on the bolt w/ washer...and my car is finally running... :nice:

Thanks for the suggestions...

Fastcat said:
And you dont need a tool to put the balancer on, you just need one to take it off............. I had to (lightly) hit the new balancer with a hammer a couple of times to get it on enough to get the crank bolt threaded.

Yeah, that's great advice........hit it with a hammer :rolleyes: ............. they sell an installer tool for a reason.................