raced a camaro ss LS1

This kid in my area bought a camaro with an lS1 in it a few months back.Older car prolly a 99-2000.He bragged and bragged over at this house we were at.Ill smoke that turd stang,I got this and that.I dont know crap bout a chevy,but I know what my car can do.:D

So we go out to the end of the block on the main road(bout a 1 mile stretch)and line em up.I walked the dog on that ass.More than 2 lenghts!Get back to the house,well,well I had sand on my side of the road and the tires spun and all this crap.Fine,lets do it again,only this time 3 others came along to watch.On top of that,I gave him my old lane,and because he was talking trash about me being able to launch my stick better than his auto(whatever?)I actually never popped my clutch untill his tires caught witch gave him about a half a car jump on me.This time,I took him all the way to 140 untill he wholeheartedly gave in.Still got him by 1 full car length.About 1 month ago he comes back.I just got this tourque converter and stall put in and blah blah blah.O.K.,back out to loses house.This time I had replaced my crappy jacobs and did a few other little things to my car that I didnt mention cuz Its not important:D .Once again,Although this time alot closer,he couldnt pull on me!So,2 weeks ago,he went out and bought a 2000something trans-am.Grrr!But the camaros,please,Im not impressed.

• Sponsors (?)

25thmustang said:
Well maybe where you guys are they are averaging mid 13s, but I can assure you unless its a 98 car, the rest are low 13s all day long. Even when driven by sub par drivers they are hitting mid 13s.

Also an 8.7 in the 1/8 in a 5.0 is a LOT different than an 8.7 in the 1/8 for an LS1. The 5.0 might go 13.7 in the 1/4, and the LS1 will be in the 13.4 range. The LS1s shine on roll races which is why I dont see this being the norm.

He said he ran 105 mph on a Gtech. Gtechs measure the mph at the last second of the 1/4 pass, whereas the track measures an average over the last 60'. Therefore a Gtech will show a good 2-3 mph more than a real track. How many LS1s are trapping 102-103 mph where you live? The norm around here is 106-108 easily, and have seen a few 109-110 cars with very very minor things done (basically Lid only cars).

Oh well you 13 second cars continue to race them, Ill stay clear of them with my car!

what is the elivation over there. i belive its 1500ft here not shure if thats good or bad. or how much elivation effects times? anyone know???

no offense, but a stock SS ls1 will mop the floor with your car on the street.
Especially once moving. You are talking about 300+rwhp to 225rwhp.

Don't get me wrong, it can be close at the track, based on traction, but from a roll, traction means nothing. And even if from the stoplight you got out front, he'd still run you down.

My combo similar to yours before my car was modded up, was good for 13.5, and i had my ass whooped by more than one SS on the street.

After my combo was done, it reversed it, i mopped the floor with them.

you know thats all I hear is you guys are compairing to diffrent motors,your compairing a 302 to 350,If a camaro or a firebird had a chey 302 I will bet you that it will be a dame close race and I've seen some ford 302's that would walk the dog on any LS1 or LT1 and thats not using blowers,turbos,or juice and not moding the thing to death

manny said:
you know thats all I hear is you guys are compairing to diffrent motors,your compairing a 302 to 350,If a camaro or a firebird had a chey 302 I will bet you that it will be a dame close race and I've seen some ford 302's that would walk the dog on any LS1 or LT1 and thats not using blowers,turbos,or juice and not moding the thing to death

GM did have a 302 back in the 60s. From what I remember it was a high revving badass motor...

Were comparing cars here not just motors. There is a LOT more to a car than the motor. The Fbodies weigh more, have better autos, and manuals, but worse rear ends. If we evened it all up it would be two of the exact same cars racing eachother...

For the guy saying the Firehawk wont go 12s. If he is bone stock he might not, but give him a few mods and he will. My friends 02 Z28 with Lid, exhaust, and a few other bolt ons went 12.5 @ 114. Now with a cam and NO traction has been 12.1 @ 117. Anyone who doesnt think thats fast for a bolt on cam car, is nuts...

Elevation here is either sea level at Etown, or about 1000-1200 feet at LVD. Either way the LS1s are doing pretty well... a lot better than the bolt on fox bodies!

I'm not saying a firehawk won't go 12's. And yes his is bone stock plus it is a vert so its even heavier. I will respect a corvette running gear in any vehicle. But i also know that my car can also run 12's N/A so i'm not to scared of many bone stock cars. hell with my bottle straped in i'm not scared of to many modified cars. I will respect these cars however and give em there due kudoo's. BTW a factory fire hawk was supposed to be able to go 12.4 if it was all optioned out.

I understand Im only saying that there are some guys on here that all they do is dog there own stang and say "its a turd this thing sucks my motor this my motor that" all Im saying is you know what your geting so why are you bitching I know my stang is not the best the in town but its mine and I love the mustang that why a got one.

I think the driver of the LS1 was either the issue, or you have to remember, an 98LS1 was made 8 or so years ago, who knows how well it was taken care of, or if the tranny or clutch is slipping..... so who knows. They arn't new cars. I drove a LS1 Z28 not too long ago that was neglected, didn't run like a LS1.

LS1's are great because they basically already have a factory H/C/I setup because they flow so well, and 44 extra cubes over a 302 to boot. A factory LS1 will run like a mild H/C/I 347.

90mustangGT said:
LS1's are great because they basically already have a factory H/C/I setup because they flow so well, and 44 extra cubes over a 302 to boot. A factory LS1 will run like a mild H/C/I 347.
Seems to me Chevy put a heck of a lot more money into there head developement then ford did. I think ford just wanted the aftermarket guys o take care of them. Go look at afr's flow data between the 205's for fords and the 205's mongooses for chevy's (LS1 heads that were an option on the FireHawk). seems to me the aftermarket world is taking better care of the chevy's

I ran my father's 01 Vette (dead stock C5 with a shift kit).

Car ran a best of 13.0 @ 106 on street tires and low 13's all day long. I would imagine some intake/exhaust mods would make it a mid 12 second car pretty easily. LS1's are completely awesome motors.... (I had to say it)