Raced an '01 vette! Question

One Wicked SVT said:
Dude, just SHUT YOUR MOUTH already.

You know NOTHING.

Compare a FOX body or a SN95 to a VETTE and YES it will get SMOKED.

Compare a low-mid 13 second 05 to a low-mid 13 second Vette and its comparable.

So now please shut up.

I know nothing? Funny thing YOUR info is WAY off so you shut up. I have driven both so I know. Its not even close.
Vette is 300lbs lighter, 50HP more, 60LB-FT torque more.
05 GT low 14's.
LS1 Vette, high 12's.
DIdnt know a 14 second car compared to a 12 second car.
No match. 05 GT will get SMOKED!!!!!!!!!

GET OFF THE CRACK!!

• Sponsors (?)

dude.. why do keep calling the 05 gt a 14 second car?
open your freaking eyes and look around this forum or any other and tell me how many mid 14 second 05 gt ET's you see.. :rolleyes:
sounds like you're the one who needs to stop smoking crack..

tomabram said:
When you said slow you really mean the Vette driver has to be sleeping. An image thing? Thats why you got a Stang? Same thing. But the Vette has the total package.

What year Vettes did you own to like the Stang better?

Oh yeah, my 88 GT is WAY better than my 05 Ferrari.

I've owned a 71, 89, 01 vette all convertibles. I liked them all but I really like the retro look of my mustang. I've also owned a 80 & 85 trans am and 69 charger & 90 mustang,currently all I have is the 05 and am thinking about a used viper 02 or 03 or a new c6. I didn't say mustangs were better than vettes I said I liked my mustang better than my vettes.

Blkgt05 said:
dude.. why do keep calling the 05 gt a 14 second car?
open your freaking eyes and look around this forum or any other and tell me how many mid 14 second 05 gt ET's you see.. :rolleyes:
sounds like you're the one who needs to stop smoking crack..

IT IS A 14 SECOND CAR. AND THE AUTO IS MID 14'S IF YOUR LUCKY.
COME ON, WHAT DO YOU GUYS WANT FROM SUCH A LITTLE MOTOR?

tomabram said:

MotorTrend tested an early production AUTOMATIC Mustang and came up with a 13.5 1/4 mile and 5.1 seconds to 60. I want to say March edition, but its the one with the Redfire Stang on the cover. C&D tested a manual stang and came up with the exact same 1/4 mile time, the only difference is the manual had a much higher trap speed. Why is this all possible? GEARING. The size of the motor has no effect on speed. It's all about power, weight, and gearing. If its all sie of the engine, then explain why an S2000 can run with a GT, Z28 or Trans-Am. You sir, don't know jack. :banana:

Just browsing the forum and thought this thread was interesting. So I went over to corvetteforum.com to check on some times. Found one stock auto C5 with 2.73 gears that ran [email protected]. I also ran a bone stock A4 C5 at the track. This was Carlsbad and is a very slow track when on street tires but that Vette ran a [email protected]. It seems that the Vette owners believe average auto C5 times being low to mid 13's but with a good driver in optimal conditions running low 13's @108. The rear gears play a big part as well with the options being either 2.73's or 3.15's.

tomabram said:

Are you serious? From the tests i've seen, the auto is the same speed if not faster than the manual in the quarter and you say the opposite? Have you personally tested them? Also, I haven't seen any auto time in the 14's, especially mid-14's. Most of them have been in the mid-13's actually.

low to mid 14s my ass...i just went to a drag strip with my AUTO 05 stang last weekend and this was my first time at any drag strip and guess what 1/4 mile time i got...

13.675...i hate to beat a dead horse but if you dont really know what youre talking about then keep quiet please

05MGT said:
MotorTrend tested an early production AUTOMATIC Mustang and came up with a 13.5 1/4 mile and 5.1 seconds to 60. I want to say March edition, but its the one with the Redfire Stang on the cover. C&D tested a manual stang and came up with the exact same 1/4 mile time, the only difference is the manual had a much higher trap speed. Why is this all possible? GEARING. The size of the motor has no effect on speed. It's all about power, weight, and gearing. If its all sie of the engine, then explain why an S2000 can run with a GT, Z28 or Trans-Am. You sir, don't know jack. :banana:

First off no, no, no. You must of misread. Must of been 14.5. SO sorry. You are making a fool of yourself. An auto runs the same times as a 5 speed? Dont think so. The 5 speed does have better gearing than the auto. So it leaves the line quicker and gets done faster. Therefore a quicker TIME. Size of the motor has no effect on speed? Holy Sh**!! Then I guess the V6 stang will run the same as the V8. Your an azz.
As a S2000 is concerned, they weight ALOT less, like 700lbs less, so duhhhh it dosent need as much power as a heavier car.

Go back to reading your mags and then reply.

tomabram said:
First off no, no, no. You must of misread. Must of been 14.5. SO sorry. You are making a fool of yourself. An auto runs the same times as a 5 speed? Dont think so. The 5 speed does have better gearing than the auto. So it leaves the line quicker and gets done faster. Therefore a quicker TIME. Size of the motor has no effect on speed? Holy Sh**!! Then I guess the V6 stang will run the same as the V8. Your an azz.
As a S2000 is concerned, they weight ALOT less, like 700lbs less, so duhhhh it dosent need as much power as a heavier car.

You really need to do some research before making these statements. You're talking about cars in general, when it has been proven several times with the '05 GT's that the auto's average .1-.2 seconds faster than the manuals in the quarter. This is the '05 GT i'm talking about, not an '04. The final drive may be larger on the manual but it's the close gearing 1-3 and the precise shifting that put the auto ahead.
I also believe you are getting your times from Mustangs of the past. 14.5 would be slow, but feasable for an '04 GT. You do realize that the '05's are quite a bit faster don't you? Also, the '05's have a new 5 speed auto, not the 4 speed of the past. Get with the program!

Seems hes just a troll that doesn't know too much about the new mustang. I'm sure people have managed to get into the 14's with both the auto and manual but it doesnt take a whole lot of skill to get in the 13's

Yep dude a good driver can run mid 13s in a stocker, I have a 04 and I have driven an 05....although I think my 04 is faster than the 05 with ease in my area I know that they can run 13s easy.I really would like to race one, some have hit it next to me in traffic but never got to run one. Did however beat an 04 SRT-4 that claimed to beat a 05GT a little ways after the launch....supposedly they were like even till about 40MPH when the srt-4 pulled him and he had like 2 extra people with him...I raced him with 3 extra people in HIS car and tore him up on the highway (55-95 ish) and I let him nail it first, then passed him and put about 3/4-1 car on him before I let off. It ran good though. He was surprised as heck at the next red light when we chatted a little, you could tell he couldnt believe I beat him LOL. Was like," God dude, what have you got in that thing!?!?"...He claims to be stock too. Just some food for thought.

Back to the original posters question I think.

billy_tripper said:
I just raced an '01 Vette auto that a friend of mine owns and it was very close. I got the jump, but when we hit the concrete in the intersection my engine completely shut down for a second or two, he passed me, then it kicked back in. I was going probably 10 or 15 mph. I actually caught back up with him and at 85 his nose was 7 feet in front of mine. Mine is an auto too and I was wondering if it could've been a break in traction on the concrete that shut it down? I didn't turn t/c off. I took it immediately after to a back road and did a launch with t/c on and the backend came around then took off but never shut down? I don't understand what happened? I launched at about 2000 rpm in the race and about 2500 rpm on the backroad. :shrug:
As for shutting down, how? Did the revs drop or was it the box. If it did spin the rears and not kick the TCS in it may have been trying to change up but the reliased it wasn't moving that fast so tried to kick back down again.

Best bet try and get it to do it again and see if it is the TCS, if it is then no worries, its working, if not it may be a gearbox, gearbox ECU problem.

As for the Vette, well it has more power, less weight, and a better suspension setup so it should be the quicker, they of course may have been letting it change up to early which will affect performance.

I know the GT's launch well and there are some respectable ET's out there for stock cars, but having looked around it seems to be more of the norm of a high 13's very low 14's car. Of course under the right conditions with a good driver it should be a mid 13 car, but under the same circumstances the Vette should be in the high 12's.

Like I said from a launch the GT's are good but if you bogged down and the Vette went past you, a GT should not have the power or speed to then catch it back up and once above 60mph it would be difficult to hang with it either due also to the better aerodynamics of the Vette.

Logically you claimed that your car stoped accelarating for 1-2 seconds. So to then even match the Corvette in this race you would have needed to out accelarate it by 1-2 seconds, because they where already ahead of you else the gap would have continued to grow and to gain on it you would have had to been out accelarating it by 3-4+ seconds which is a tall order.

A stock Gt should see 0-100 in about 13.5 seconds, so if you where theoritically gaining on a Vette at WOT it would put there 0-100mph in the 16+second range. They should be 11-12seconds. Or if they had a good launch and where on there way to a 0-100mph time of 12-13 seconds your car would have to have been accelarating at 9-10seconds to 100mph, which is a fair way above a stock 03 Cobra the acheive.

Hope you follow the logic.

And I hope you can have a rematch and see who does win, because aside from the logic you could still win, if they are a pretty poor driver, the motor has a lot of miles on it and/or is not making the ponies it should, if they have a gearbox of diff problem.

However on equal terms stock for stock The Corvette is the faster machine. But that also follows suit for the Fbody guys too, as they don't have any more power stock for stock than a C5 Vette but weigh more.

tomabram said:

**yawn** Read the mag again little man. 13.5 1/4 mile. Let me spell it out. THIRTEEN POINT FIVE SECOND QUARTER MILE. And believe it or not the new autos are quicker off the line. If you knew anything about the new Mustang, you;d know the 5 speed AUTOMATIC has very close gearing from 1-2-3. This attributes to the quick 1/4 mile time but low trap speed. Read the link that was previously posted a few posts up. You'll see. But I suggeest you wait till you're old enough to drive before you start talking about cars with more knowledgeable folk. :owned: