Radiator Problem...please help

macman147

Oct 10, 2011
PTC, Ga
My 95 mustang gt 5.0 L is having a scary problem. The radiator fluid is literally disappearing. Every time i add some to fill up the reserve tank and run the car in my garage the level just goes down and goes away. There is no leak that goes to the ground as there are no puddles or anything beneath my car. There are bubbles coming up into my reserve tank though. The only thing i can think is that there is a crack in my engine block and that i pretty much need a new engine/car. If anyone else has any idea what could be going on please let me know, i'm a little desperate! :nonono:

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, that's usually a head gasket. It's a full days work, but not too expensive. If the block was cracked it would be turning up in the oil. These blocks hardly ever crack unless you really put the beans to them. It sometimes doesn't show up on a compression test either. You have to do that stupid test where you check for exhaust gasses in your cooling system. They rent the kit to do that at Autozone. They even rent the chemical you test it with.

Kurt

Before doing a head gasket, pressure test the system. You can take it to Pep Boy and have it done for a few bucks (good piece of mind) or you can buy a tester. It's tool that replaces the radiator cap, has like a hand pump and gauge. You pump up the system until the recommended pressure on the gauge. Do this first before anything! This will tell you your next move.

Usually a blown head gasket doesn't show up on a pressure test. Especially when it's a light one like that. You have to get that test cup that you stick in the radiator in place of the cap. Then you run the engine, and give it a little bit of throttle every few minutes. You have to pump this little ball on top of the test cup, and it sucks gasses out of the radiator through the test fluid. If the fluid changes color, it means you have exhaust gasses in your coolant. Sometimes it's not even enough to come up on that test.

Kurt