Radiator support, lh and rh apron replacement

65 A Code

Apr 6, 2004
I am getting ready to start replacing the radiator support and front fender aprons. I am open to any and all suggestions, tips. I have a Eastwood spotweld cutter on the way. Is it ok do the welding without gas or is that a must? What type of black paint should I use when done ie flat, gloss, semi gloss?

Thanks for the help.
Russell

• Sponsors (?)

what kind of welder are you using? It sounds like you're planning on using a MIG, if possible use gas, if not, use a good flux core wire. Usually a cleaner weld can be had using gas. As for the paint, semi-gloss or satin is the way to go.

This would be a good time to consider the 67-68 core support to add a bigger radiator. It worked great for our project. We used the 67-68 core support, 68 saddle brackets and the 24 inch radiator for a 68 small block with AC.

mdjay said:
This would be a good time to consider the 67-68 core support to add a bigger radiator. It worked great for our project. We used the 67-68 core support, 68 saddle brackets and the 24 inch radiator for a 68 small block with AC.

wish I would have thought of that before I bought the new support. Oh well.
Got the Eastwood Spotweld cutter in today. Looks nice. Anyone on here tell me just how to use it? I am guessing to center it up on the weld and go at it? How deep are you supposed to go with it?

Thanks

65 A Code said:
Got the Eastwood Spotweld cutter in today. Looks nice. Anyone on here tell me just how to use it? I am guessing to center it up on the weld and go at it? How deep are you supposed to go with it?

Thanks

You just want to cut deep enough to get the panel loose.

65 A Code said:

Thanks

chuck up a small drill bit thats smaller then the centering bit of the spotweld bit and drill all the way through then chuck up the spotweld bit and just center it in that small hole, cut down till it brakes through first panel.

RajunCajun said:
chuck up a small drill bit thats smaller then the centering bit of the spotweld bit and drill all the way through then chuck up the spotweld bit and just center it in that small hole, cut down till it brakes through first panel.

If he bought the tool with the spring loaded center pin hd doesn't need a pilot hole. They work good right on the weld.

same kind I have has a allen head adjustment with spring inside on a center punch style centering pin, believe me it still wants to walk a small hole all the way through both panels isnt going to hurt anything can be easily welded up

RajunCajun said:
same kind I have has a allen head adjustment with spring inside on a center punch style centering pin, believe me it still wants to walk a small hole all the way through both panels isnt going to hurt anything can be easily welded up

This is the one I bought. Thanks for the tips. Will let yall know how it goes after I start.

Center punch the center of your spot weld. That way the spring loaded centering pin won't walk on you. And as far as the front aprons, Are you doing the left front one? If so cut out the VIN stamped area and weld it into your new apron. C-ya Scott