ran out of gas... i guess?

87WhiteStang1

Dec 19, 2007
so i was driving yesterday and luckily i was in my nieghborhood when my car started to sputter and died out.. it wouldnt start back up so i figured it was out of gas. the gauge was at about 1/8 full which was weird and the low fuel light hadnt even came on yet.. ive had it down to the red before and still driving?? so i put about a gallon in from a gas can and it started and drove to the gas station.. it only took about 10.5 gallons before it was full??? so there was still like 3 gallons or so in there??? anyone ever had this happen to them? also ever since i put the gas in and started it again it has been making some weird whining noise like something is spinning freely and it gets faster when i hit the gas???

• Sponsors (?)

so thew noise was coming from the starter which i just replaced today... still wondering why it ran out of gas when it had some.. its a 15 gallon tank right? and it only took me 10.5 to fill up?

maybe not gas

Had the same thing happen to mine on the way to work got out looked under the hood, beat around on the thing got back in (about five minute cool down) and she fired up. Talked to a friend at work about it and he suggested checking the ignition module on the distributor. I have changed that and it hasn't happened again so far but it has only been a few days. By the way don't go about it the hard way if you change this there is a specialty tool to get to the 7/32 screws in the module.