Rattle from catback hitting brakeline - need help!

NasaGT

Founding Member
Sep 19, 2002
Virginia
Hello all, about a month ago I installed JBA headers and an MRT catted H-pipe. After the install I had a little rattle in the back end of the car, and I figured something had finally come loose and didn't think it had anything to do with the exhaust mods.

Well, I finally looked for the rattle today, and it turns out the catback on the passenger side is touching the rear brakeline. Here's a pic:

dsc00732.jpg

I think there are two possibilities.

1) The MRT H-pipe is too short and has brought the catback towards the front of the car, and into contact with the brake line/bracket. The reason I think this might be the problem is that the passenger side tail pipe doesn't stick out as far as the drivers side. So if the H-pipe is a little short it could cause this.

2) The brake line bracket is goofed up. You can see from the pic that the brake line takes a huge turn to connect to the hose on that bracket. The line is bent so much it is almost crimped. Is the bracket goofed up? It looks to me that the line should hug the frame and not stick out need the exhaust pipe.

So what do you guys think? Also is there a way to adjust how the catback hangs? I loosened a couple of the bolts, but it pretty much stayed in the same place.

Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

vipergts281 said:
If that is the piece I think it is, you should be able to move that bracket. I believe it has one bolt holding it in place. Why don't you take a look at it and see if i am right.

Let me know what you find.

:nice:

Viper you are correct, there is one bolt holding that bracket on. You can see it in the pic. But there aren't any holes to move it to. What do you suggest I do with it?

NasaGT said:
Viper you are correct, there is one bolt holding that bracket on. You can see it in the pic. But there aren't any holes to move it to. What do you suggest I do with it?
Ahh yes, I remembered that because I un-bolted it when I was changing my brakes one time.

Now for a suggesting....I don't know. :p

I'll think about it and get back to you.

It looks like you already did it by looking at that pic. But, see if you can angle that bracket away from the pipe more. Or try moving the pipe....which you also said you tried. I'd try again.

Or maybe just wrap the piece in electrical tape so it won't rattle when it hits the pipe. :shrug:

EDIT:: Are you sure there isn't another hole you can move it to. It just looks out of place in that pic.

vipergts281 said:
It looks like you already did it by looking at that pic. But, see if you can angle that bracket away from the pipe more. Or try moving the pipe....which you also said you tried. I'd try again.

Or maybe just wrap the piece in electrical tape so it won't rattle when it hits the pipe. :shrug:

EDIT:: Are you sure there isn't another hole you can move it to. It just looks out of place in that pic.

Earlier I loosened that bolt to move the bracket around, but I didn't completely remove it. I'll pull it off tomorrow and see if there are any more holes behind it. I didn't feel any, but I couldn't get my fingers behind the whole thing. I think you are right in that bracket looks out of place, almost like its the wrong one.

If that doesn't work, maybe bending the bracket away will help, like you said. I'll also try twisting the catback like KJ Hoppus said, but I don't think the catback brackets allow a stock catback to twist. :shrug:

Thanks for the help!

vipergts281 said:
It just looks really awkward with that sharp turn in it. If I still had my GT I would go look at it. But I don't.

Let me know how it goes tomorrow, I'm curious. I'm guessing there is another hole.

I forgot to update this yesterday. :doh:

I took the bracket off, no other hole to bolt into. I did what KJ Hoppus said, and unbolted the catback from the mid pipe. I had to use a pry bar on the muffler to twist the catback away from the bracket while I tightend the catback/mid pipe bolts up, and that worked. Gave me about a half inch of clearance. The down side is that the muffler is angled a little bit and now sits a lower than it should. A new catback will fix that. :nice:

I still think that bracket is goofed up though. Any GT owners feel ike taking a pick for me? Please? :p

Thanks for everyones help!