really need some help, TB whistle or not!!!

skunk21

May 22, 2007
Taxachusetts
Hey everyone, I'm going nuts here. It seems everytime I touch my car something else goes funky :notnice:. I did some recent mods awhile ago. I put on a new Ford racing 65mm TB and egr spacer, matched the upper intake, T- Moss etc. All new sensors , Idle control motor, air charge, new 95 70 mm MAF, coolant, map etc. I posted a stalling problem due to egr code and fixed that with a new egr vacuum soleniod and pintle sensor, after finding the vacuum problem 1st then the sensor problem 2nd then cleaned the EGR etc. the code is now gone. The idle qaulity still lacked and would sometimes still stumble. I went through the idle check list on here.

Now before I touched the car the other day I had no whistle at idlethis point might be important. I wanted to fix my poor idle problem and i read that alot of idle problems stem from not doing the base idle set after checking the other things, vacuum reads fine, no codes now, timing is 14 etc. The idle before was really low maybe 600 or so. I go to do the base idle set from info on a link posted by hissen, I pulled the negative cable for the 30min, unplugged the iac etc. the car wouldn't start with it off so I screwed the set screw in a little until I could get it started then set the idle, did the 2min idle thing and it idle around 800 (going by the stock gauge so a educated guess) but now it whistles!!!

I checked the tps voltage which I had to lower due to the idle change, I pulled the pvc which was all new from the when I did the mods new screen, grommet etc. it was fine, rechecked lines and sprayed carb cleaner all around the intake, egr, TB, vacuum lines and no idle change. I can't hear it as much when standing on the pass. side and putting my ear near the TB but I can really hear it on the drivers side and if lay my ear on the body of the intake I can hear it good. The whistle is loud even when the hood is closed you can hear it..If I raise the idle or snap the throttle is goes away though.

I drove the car and the messed up part is it now idles better and doesn't stumble anymore when yo put then clutch in coming to a stop, it's better than ever but freaken whistles:shrug:. so before base idle reset no whistle after whistle and I didn't touch anything but do the idle adjustment, I'm lost. I searched and read some stuff about TB whistle or maybe the tps is now adjusted at the point where it has the butterfly blade in a bad spot.

The only other thing I can find, the vacuum tree coming out from under the intake that feeds the brake booster and the vacuum lone going over to the a/c tank and solenoids by the strut tower I can rock ot back and forth a little with my hands. It was that way when I first intalled the intake, I used a lot of tef tape and tighted it up but didn't want to break the tree. I sprayed that thing and the idle didn't change maybe it's got a leak but the whistle is loud even when the hood is closed you can hear it, but goes away by just raising the idle.

• Sponsors (?)

If I follow you, the issue sounds like it's possibly the throttleblade (since mechanically raising the idle, which opens the blade in most instances, caused the whistl). Have you considered trying an idle bypass adjuster? This might allow you to lower the throttle stop adjustment back to where it doesnt whistle, but then use the adjuster to raise your idle. For 10 bucks used (or 20 ish new last time I looked), it might be worth a shot.

94-95 Mustangs use a similar idea (from the factory, a result of the need for bypass plates on fox III's and the fact that raising the idle via the throttle stop increases the perceived load on the load-based 5N95 processor). I will say it works to an extent but a lot of us still do raise the mechanical setting. In my case it drove me nuts (no whistle but a 600 RPM idle drove me bongo) till I had the commanded idle raised.

One other thought. Check your baseline (KOEO) EGR position sensor. If it gets over 0.50 volts or so, it can become problematic (the baseline tends to be slightly transient so one wants it well below the idle threshold).

Good luck.

Hmm. I may have to try that. Yeah you understood me. I had no issues until I changed the idle then bam I got the whistle. I know that lowering the idle again may remove it but then I'm back to the crap idle. I can check the voltage on the egr again, I know I checked that when I had the egr problem using jricker's info. I'll order one and see what that does I guess. I did notice that the set screw is in pretty far just to get the idle I'm at now so maybe this will work out better. I thought about knocking down the volts on my tps since I'm at 98 down to like 94/92 and seeing if that did anything, any thoughts on that or is that a nono.

I thought about knocking down the volts on my tps since I'm at 98 down to like 94/92 and seeing if that did anything, any thoughts on that or is that a nono.

You shouldn't have to mess with the TPS (the RATCH function allows it to baseline unless it is setting a limit code). For instance mine is at 1.19 volts and I leave it be (not that what's on my car matters).

That said, if you wanna try playing with it, some folks who datalog have noted that lowering it did seem to help with drivability issues. I used to be pro-playing with the sensor, thinking it really can't hurt. Now I'm hesitant to suggest messing with it because people sometimes break the sensor. You're savvy and smart so go for it if you feel like it.

It's weird that your stop-screw is in so far. The only comment I have there is that some aftermarket IAC's have to be installed upside down in order to work properly. Sounds like you used OEM stuff but it was worth mentioning.

Good luck.

You shouldn't have to mess with the TPS (the RATCH function allows it to baseline unless it is setting a limit code). For instance mine is at 1.19 volts and I leave it be (not that what's on my car matters).

That said, if you wanna try playing with it, some folks who datalog have noted that lowering it did seem to help with drivability issues. I used to be pro-playing with the sensor, thinking it really can't hurt. Now I'm hesitant to suggest messing with it because people sometimes break the sensor. You're savvy and smart so go for it if you feel like it.

It's weird that your stop-screw is in so far. The only comment I have there is that some aftermarket IAC's have to be installed upside down in order to work properly. Sounds like you used OEM stuff but it was worth mentioning.

Good luck.

well I ordered the idle bypass plate and i'm going to try your advice first. I may just leave the tps alone for now. yeah it's weird about the set screw unless ford used a shorter one :shrug:. I had to screw it in to get the car to run w/o the iac plug in to do the idle reset, maybe with the bypass plate I can back the idle screw out like you stated and go from there. thanks for your help and I'll post the results when I get the plate and retry this.

HISSIN50 thanks for the advice. I got the bypass plate in finally. I first did the base idle reset and brought the idle back down that way, which took away the TB whistle but I git the crappy idle back, checked and reset the TPS. Then did the bypass plate per instruction and adjusted the idle that way and rechecked the TPS. No more TB whistle or idle stumble drove it around for awhile today and runs great :nice:.