Rear Diff Cover... Gasket or Silicone

Cobra1894

Oct 7, 2003
Broken Arrow, OK
What does everyone reccommend installing when replacing the rear diff gridle? I have heard just the gasket, just the silicone or both... What Type of silicone should I use if that is the better way? It both is best, do you place silicone on both sides of the gasket or just one side?

• Sponsors (?)

your choice. one will say gasket, one will say just silicone/rtv. i myself just used a gasket only. i hate scraping rtv if the anything ever has to be changed. when i built my motor the only place i have rtv is on the oil pan at the front and rear and a little on the rear cap.

Since you asked, I use both. A very light coating of Copper RTV and then the gasket. Otherwise, I know it will leak (as it is, when the stock cover flexes, it dribbles). You mentioned girdle, so that should not be an issue. If the gasket on the girdle is nice and thick, go for just a gasket.
Just what I do/would do.
Good luck.

I only use a gasket on mine and it has a girdle. I even reuse the gasket most of the time. Sure save time over scraping off all the RTV. After The first use of the gasket it will just kinda seep a little. The cover gets dirty but never actually drips.