Rear End Gear Swap

good luck:nice: its not hard to do once you do it a couple time.

eades dont be so grumpy:D

and yes the spider gears rotate at the same time into place.:nice:

just make sure you get the right wear pattern before you run them, or else theyll start to whine forever, but my loud exhuast quiets the whine down:D

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry guys I haven't responded. My soon to be parent in laws are coming into town from Minnesota so I have been helping the g/f clean up the house.

The problem I was having last post was getting the spider gears in. I finally just took the assembly back out and knocked out the S clip. Then I put them in like so because it was SOOOO much easier. I put the S clip back in and install the differential...again. I'd have to say though, the part that pissed me off the most was putting fluid in the differential. I didn't have "proper technique" I guess. I finally had to go buy another gallon and shucked 12 bucks for a hand pump at Advance Auto. I got everything back together and started it up yesterday. I ran it threw the gears while on jackstands and everything sounded great...with no whine of course :D I lowered it and took it out on the street. WOW what a difference. First gears seems like it isn't even there. As soon as I take off I have to shift again. The gears that were in it before said 2.73 I believe. I thought someone said they had 3.08's??? Now the new task is to install the speedo gear. I only have the gear for the AODE. Reason being because I was going to do this install when I still had the AODE. Then I did the tranny swap. I went ahead and ordered the T5 speedo gear from CJ Pony Parts.

While everyone is reading this post, please tell me where I can get the little plastic clip things for the windows to mount to the window regulators to keep them on track. I've been EVERYWHERE, Autozone, Advance, Oreilly's, FORD. No one knows where to get them???

If you guys have any questions about anything I did, just give me a shout. Thanks for everyones support :SNSign:

Oh..and I put in 3.73's.

Since im assuming you swapped in a 94-95 t-5 and just installed 3.73 gears, you are going to need a white 23 tooth speedo gear to install in the tranny. I got mine from blueovalindustries.com for around $18 shipped, and it was like a 5 minute job to swap them. Just unbolt the sensor from the transmission case, pull the clip off the gear which is attached to the sensor, and swap the gears. Reinstall the clip, then reinstall the sensor, and its as simple as that. Good luck with the gears man, i just had my 3.73's installed myself, and WOW what a difference!:nice:

Yeah..I paid 12 bucks including shipping for the speedo gear from CJ Pony Parts. Someone PM and told me that since the AODE gear is longer, just shave it to the same length as the T5. I think I'm going to do that as a temp fix. Thanks for telling me where it was located. I was looking up the location on google as soon as you posted. Thanks

YOU CAN DO IT! I did mine myself. just because i didn't want to pay $$$. and you learn from it. it will most likely take you 2 days. I took my time, got the book and read everything twice. i got 4:10's and no speedo cal, Now i am doing 180mph LOL wooohoooo

Congrats on the job. Glad to hear it turned out well. Those gears make a ton of difference. And I hear what you are saying on the short first gear. Ford made the 1st gear soooo low to compensate for the stock horrible (gas saving) rear end ratio. With a proper rear end ratio, first seems really too short.

BTW, I used a speedcal to correct my speedo too, and like it - very accurate.

Anyway, have fun.

I'd have to say though, the part that pissed me off the most was putting fluid in the differential. I didn't have "proper technique" I guess. I finally had to go buy another gallon and shucked 12 bucks for a hand pump at Advance Auto.

Little tip for next time for refilling the rear: take an old plastic squeezable mustard jar and use that to fill up the rear. Itll take a few minutes but its easy and free :)

Hey i have a question regarding these spider gears. They fell out of the car that i was working on and i've been told by several people now to rotate them in. Problem is no matter how or what you turn, the side gears never move so i can't figure out how to rotate them in. I've pushed on them but nothing budges.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Hey i have a question regarding these spider gears. They fell out of the car that i was working on and i've been told by several people now to rotate them in. Problem is no matter how or what you turn, the side gears never move so i can't figure out how to rotate them in. I've pushed on them but nothing budges.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

The spider gears will rotate in when you turn the gears that the axle fits into. If you have your axles installed you could have someone turn it while you fit the spider gear in place. Watch your fingers:D

Reinstall the C-clips. Then put the pinion pin back in to hold the spider gears in place. Lastly, the pinion pin screw gets reinstalled using loctite.