Rear End Whining

M_Goodman

Feb 2, 2009
I have a 97 Cobra. I had a leak in the rear end seal. I had my brother drop the driveshaft and replace the seal on the rear end. Now I have a new problem. Under Deacceleration the car is giving me a horrible whining From the rear end. My brother is thinking maybe he did not tighten the bolt enough and the noise is backlash when you get off the accelerator. Me personally I am thinking the worse. Like new ring and pinion from what I have been reading. Any suggestion?

• Sponsors (?)

If the noise started immediately after seal replacement, I would say either the nut was tightened not enough or too much. Probably more chance of too tight. There is a crush sleeve that is betweeen the two bearings, that if tightened too much, causes too much preload on the pinion shaft bearings. If it is run very long this way, the bearings will be ruined and entire differential will need to be torn down so bearings can be replaced.

you need to take it apart and put a new crush sleeve in and likely go the bearings. you cant just tighten that nut. i have had a customer do just that and his axle was broke within 200 miles and needed a complete rebuild, incl gears. take it apart now and set it up right so u dont have to buy parts

Thanks for the replies. I decided to take the car to my mechanic and have him take it for a test drive. Initially he thought maybe it was a bearing that went. Gave me a lesson on how the rearend works and what is in there. Also a few tip's to tell my brother the next time he does it. He then put the car on the lift for me, Dropped the driveshaft and found the nut to be exceptionally loose. He removed the nut applied some locktite and properly tightened it. We then took the car for a test ride and that was the ticket. Car is all good now. Only cost me $75. I think it was a bargin