rear window gasket

big block 460

Mar 12, 2004
hey guys i just redid the rear window gasket did everything right i guess well guess what it leaks right in the middle on the top edge what can i do now

i put sealer in grove next to glass
i put sealer in grove next to frame edge then i installed rope and installed glass went ok it looks fine but it leaks i haven't installed crome yet
got any ideas????

• Sponsors (?)

Easiest fix would be to buy some 3M Window weld and use a SMALL amount only in the leak area. This stuff is made for late model cars that permanently adhere the glass to the car, but it is thin enough to flow into holes in the thick butyl sealer we use and seal up leak. You can get it in tube (toothpaste style) or cartridge (caulking gun style)

Just asking beacuse I really don't know: couldn't he just lift up the rubber seal where it leaks on both sides of the glass and shoot some more butyl sealer in there. It probably pulled some out when he did the rope thing. :shrug:

Not really. The butyl sealant is so thick that it won't generally "flow" into holes where the leaks are. More than likely it will just create another entry point for the water by not letting the seal lay flat

ok what i did was went inside and folded down the rubber and ran a bead of that 3m window weld ( in a caulk tube ) and in the grove outside and installed the crome i will see tonight if it leaks---if so i guess i will take the whole thing back out and start over

is that what i am supost to use ( 3m window weld ) cause that is what i use to start with i will let you guys know thanks for the input