Removal of Stock H Pipe-Header Bolt Problem

• Sponsors (?)

Both the bolts in the front are a major pain in the butt, just spray a ton of wd40 on it and let it sit overnight. Come back in the morning and work on it. Lots of patience, thats all ya need...it will come off eventually.

try

I had the same problem with mine and my brothers car. We sprayed plenty of WD40 and had to get a 1/4 socket wrench, swivel, and two extensions to get it to seat on the bolt right and the 1/4 socket wrench was small enough to move in the tight spot. Try that if you havent already gotten it off be careful because we almost stripped the nut with the air drill.

I didnt have a problem once I got the right tools. I used a 3/8ths socket wrench, deep socket (i forget what size fits) and a TEN (10) inch 3/8ths EXTENSION. I had a 20 inch extension (too big) and a 5 inch extension (worthless). The 10 was PERFECT and was the key to getting the bolts undone. Torque it off hard, put some muscle into it, the bolts will break loose. then it's simple. I didnt have to use a U joint (swivle) on the end, infact, i tried to, and it just made things more complicated.

I'd suggest not using an air gun/impact tool for this since you kind of have to be careful.

Reactions: 1 user
Easiest way to get that off is use a 1/2" ratchet with some extensions and swivel joints. You can set it up so that you ratchet is completely clear of the bottom of the car. Its a piece of cake then.

I have pretty much tried all of the above except for the WD40 which is about to take place. I think I'll (watch out for the puke)--go shopping with my wife while it sets it. UUUhhhhggg! Anyway, she'll think I'm being sweet. Ha.
I realize that the air tools are not good. I just about stripped the nut. I think I'm gonna go with a 1/2" swivel so I don't break my 3/8". I had an eyeball on it while I torqued down on it and it didn't look good. Thanks for the help!!!

I about broke my hand when I finally got mine off, I was pulling so hard on the thing cause I was so frustrated, and the car was not jacked up that high, well I got it loose, and when I did my hand hit the floor of my garage so hard I wanted to scream. Oh well, just more blood for the cause, good luck...

I broke the rear bolt loose and just about lost a testicle in the process (and that one is an easy straight shot with a simple extension). I then thought, "oh, crap what have I gotten into". Not to be deterred though. Hell, I once changed head gaskets on a '90 Lincoln Continental with a 3.8L and never removed the exhaust manifolds. A Ford Tech told me it was not possible. I said sure it is with a lot of determination and a friend whaling on a prybar!
I'm letting it soak right now in some WD40 and in a little while, I'm gonna go get sideways on it.

Thanks for all the help. I got that SOB. I only had WD40 so that's what I used and then left it for a couple of hours. I also used the following combination of stuff:
18" cheater bar (1/2" drive), reducer (1/2 to 3/8), short 3/8 extension, long 3/8 extension, one 3/8 swivel, and finally a 15mm deep dish socket. This gives just enough length to get some ass behind it. The swivel must be a good brand, one that is stiff and not all limp and falling all over the place. Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright guys...(my memory has faded)...but what is the exact bolt size on the manifold on the 99+ Gt's...I'm helping my buddy install his prochamber on his 00 GT (like I had) this weekend after he receives it from Santa :)

I'm going to reuse the stock passenger gasket...I have the Napa 600-1819 manifold stud kit...that is all I need correct? I do not want to strip the nut and would like to know what size it is if someone happens to now... :nice:

Also any tips on getting the old studs out of the driver side manifold? Do I just need to do the two-nut method (tightning them against each other) or is their an easier way...?

I was not having luck with the impact gun. I just soaked it with WD40 and waited a couple of hours and then went back and got sideways on it. It took a hell of a lot longer than any 1.5 hours to do but I think that is because I had never done it and I don't have a lift.
As far as the impact, it was stripping the nut so I stopped. The boys at the local Ford shop told me to keep trying patiently and it would give. It did. Good luck.