Removing a 1990 front bumper and side moldings

dz187

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Had a fender bender today, and my front bumper isn't in the best of shape anymore :bang: How hard is it to get the thing off? Since I have to get it painted, i want to have the black moldings painted as well, any info on getting those off too?

• Sponsors (?)

i cant remember if there are any bolts that hold the molding onto the front fenders, i know the rear moldings have a couple boldts.
my moldings were just held on by that double sided tape. a really eassy way to remove these is to use guitar strings or piano wire and run it between the car and the molding, cafeful not to cut the moldings.

Side moldings....if i were you i would leave them on the car, mask them off and paint them where they are. It's a *******'er to get them back on right without curling or pealing off a year later. It can be done but it's just a pain.

As for the bumper, there are something like 6 screws that hold it on and they're pretty tough to get too. They're along the sides where the bumper meets the fender.

i'd like to get a new one too... what about all those rivets across the top of the bumper? do they have to be drilled out? i think they go to the headlamp panel maybe? i cant remeber but i thought it looked like they need to come out before????
:shrug:

Simple, to take the bumper/headlight panel off...

Between the radiator support and the bumper you can access the lights. Spin each of the 6 round headlight mounts (no idea what they are called, you will see). Then pull the bulbs through the back of the lights.

Jack the car up for a little more room and get a 7/16" socket/ratchet, and a box wrench, as well as an 8mm socket. I would begin with the nuts holding the fenders to the bumper (7/16 might need the box wrench on one or two). There are 7 or 8 of them and run the whole height of the fender and bumper. To access them it is easier to removed the inner wheel well, but you can do it without taking them off. Unbolt these 7 or 8 on each side. There is also one more bolt that holds a metal bracket from the rad support. This might be an 8mm bolt and I believe might even go through from the other side then these nuts. Either way you will see it.

Next look under the very front of the bumper behind the black plastic thing (god I have NO idea what this stuff is called) there are 4 7/16 bolts holding that and the bumper to the bottem of the rad. support. Once those are gone, head up top and look where the bumper and the rad support come together. there are two brackets, L shaped attached to the bumper and the support. Remove one of the bolts from each.

Once these are done the bumper should slide off...

The side molding isnt hard. Like said before paino wire and take your time. If you pull them off and they are bent you can get them straight but I am unsure of how they will hold up. If they come off not straight I can guide you on getting them near perfect.

The ones on the front of the fenders and rear of the 1/4 panel are bolted in from the back. 4 nuts (1/2 really easy to get off) that actually screw onto plastic on the front and 3 on the back!

When i did the nose on my car....we didn't screw around...we just unbolted the entire front end up to the doors and pulled it off and swapped fenders and all. I needed a new fender anyways.