Removing Front Bumper

savegoodautonfg

May 11, 2005
I got into an accident about 6 months ago and im getting around to fixing it now. It cracked a part of my bumper and paint chipped off of it all over it. Now i want to do body work fix the crack and repaint it. I don't know how to get the bumper off tho. Does anyone have pictures of how to or to explain it really good for me? I want to take off from underneath the headlights all the way down.
I'd really appreciate it

THanks alot

-Nick

• Sponsors (?)

Well its pretty easy even though most would say do a search..I'll just tell ya how to do it...pop the hood there are 2 core support to front bumper brackets in the center 8mm take them out unplug all the front lights then go under the car on the core support remove the 4 or 6 10mm bolts that attach the bumper to the core support or push pins on the GT's I think next reach up inside the wheel wells and pull the plastic liners out on both sides then its just a matter of unbolting the 8 or so 10 mm nuts that attach the bumper to the fender

83Mustang427TT said:
Well its pretty easy even though most would say do a search..I'll just tell ya how to do it...pop the hood there are 2 core support to front bumper brackets in the center 8mm take them out unplug all the front lights then go under the car on the core support remove the 4 or 6 10mm bolts that attach the bumper to the core support or push pins on the GT's I think next reach up inside the wheel wells and pull the plastic liners out on both sides then its just a matter of unbolting the 8 or so 10 mm nuts that attach the bumper to the fender

If you go under the car right under the car in the front there are bolts going across the bottom of the bumper. are those the ones you say attach the bumper to the fender or the 4or6 10mm bolt taht attach the bumper to the core support?

And also the core support, does it look like a square type thing with 4 bolts in it or something like that?

And by the way i do do a search could'nt find anything.

Bad Pony posted this on a thread one time...

Oh, ok... yeah the main bumper is just 4 big bolts, but the cover will have to come off to do it. Removing the bumper cover isn't that hard really though. I've done it several times. First thing is that you'll have to remove all six lights...headlights, corners, inners. Then there are rivets on top, like right above the headlights... you'll have to drill them out, there's like 16 or 17 of them. You'll need a rivet gun and rivets to re-install the cover later. Then there are nuts, that attach the bumper cover to the fenders, to remove on the inside of the sides. If you reach your hand (with wrench) through the cracks on the sides, like where the air-filter is on a CAI kit, you can get most of them from the top. The lower ones you'll have to lay on the ground and get them from the bottom. I can't remember how many exactly, maybe 6 or 7 per side. That's pretty much it, the cover should just pull away from the car now. If you're not painting the cover, be really careful with it while it's off the car. Don't bend it around too much and be careful where you lay it down. Last time I did mine, I was going to paint it afterwards so I didn't care about the paint, but I layed it down in a part of my driveway that has gravel in it and it got all scratched up.
Like I said, the bumper it'self is just 4 big bolts and it will come right off. The foglight bracing bar installs in holes in the bumper that are on both GT and LX bumpers, no drilling required. I installed mine after the bumper cover was back on, but maybe doing it before installing the cover would be easier.
To re-install the cover, do the side nuts first. Tighten them finger tight, or loosely tightened, and then you can shift it and bump it around until it lines up with the fenders. Then tighten them. THEN do the rivets. If you do the rivets first, the cover can't be adjusted with the fenders afterwards. After all that, install the six lights and fog lights. If the car was originally a GT, the fog lights should be a "plug-and-play" type deal.
I think that's it. Hope this helps and good luck with it!

You dont have to drill the rivets out as long as your headlight support isnt broke and you dont have to take out the headlights until the bumper is off the car,just unplug them...there are 2 L-shaped brackets on the front of the core support take those off,then take the bottom bolts off the core support yes its the square thing in the front of the car crawl under the front you will see where the bumper cover attaches to the core support those bolts..remove them. then pull the wheel splash sheilds out or if you are flexible reach up into the space right infront of the wheels and remove those nuts on both sides if you look down into the space behind the headlights towards the fender you will see the nuts im talking about lift the bumper off and there you go

It's easier than falling off a log guys ;)

Once you get under there and start unbolting you'll see... I did it a month or 2 ago and I can't remember exactly where all the bolts are. And dont bother with inner bumper- just take the cover off. Most of the bolts are where the fender meets the front bumper, and underneath on the edge of the cover. Good luck!

savegoodautonfg said:
I dont see the difference btwn the bumper cover and the bumper?

And also i don't knwo where the core support things are?

bumper cover is plastic part that sits on top of the bumper.

the core support is the frame that holds the bumper.

it's all real simply....try to make it complicated.

just jack up the stang high. get a good light and ratchet and take a long long then get to work. it's not hard to work on a stang. our stangs are over 15 years old...I would be scared if I was changing the plugs on a 06 mercedes.