Replace EGR Carb Spacer with Non EGR Spacer

gregski

Mar 13, 2010
Sacramento, California
If I am not concerned with SMOG and emissions can I replace the mid '75's EGR carburetor spacer I have now with an early '71 style non EGR one, or better yet do I need a spacer at all?

My Motorcraft 2150 carb has a PCV port on the base of it, so I placed the carb on the intake manifold without any spacers and I did not have any clearance problems. I did google carb spacers and I guess they serve a purpose other than giving you an inch of height, but I figure I ask you anyways if I need one. I figure with it I can have leaks between the carb and the spacer as well as between the spacer and the intake manifold, so I am thinking why not just eliminate it all together.

Again I am new to this car stuff so please be gentle. Pictures below:

96149d1271207838-replace-egr-carb-spacer-non-egr-spacer-egr-spacer-1.jpg

96150d1271207838-replace-egr-carb-spacer-non-egr-spacer-non-egr-spacer-1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

finding a 2bbl carb space might be harder to find but i would check jegs or summit for just a non-egr 2bbl carb spacer. You could just bolt the carb directly to your intake manifold but you might need shorter carb studs. Also if your carb doesnt have a spot for your vacume advance, make sure you get a space with one. and dont forget new gaskets

What's with me and mud? So today I went to our local Pick-n-Pull aka junkyard and I found this 1973 Ford F-Series truck with a two barrel carb and a spacer with no hoses going to it and no EGR valve. Sweet I thought maybe this spacer will work for my EGR deletion on my 76, so I pulled it off. Then I flipped the spacer over and found dirt/mud under it, what the heck I thought, man it was cracked, no good. I bought some other parts and asked if I could have this spacer for free, they said no, but reduced the price to $4.00 bucks, so I bought it just for the he11 of it since the bottom is different from the two I already have so this type would not draw exhaust gases all the time into the intake.

Can any of you identify the carb from this picture, I couldn't see a label on it?

73TruckCarb.jpg

73TruckSpacer1.jpg

73TruckSpacer2.jpg

Here are the three spacers I accumulated from junk yards. They look similar but the two smaller ones have a base plate that is narrower from front to back they are 3 inches by 5 1/4 inches, the big one which is what came on my engine measures 3 1/4 inches front to back and 5 1/2 accross. So when I use one of the two smaller ones there is a small gap between the spacer and the carburetor.

At this point I am thinking of keeping my original spacer and fabbing a EGR block off plate, no big deal, but I wanted to use the spacer in the middle without the nipple for a clean look since my 2150 Motorcraft 2 barrel carb has the PVC nipple on its base already.

I'm sharing the pictures and part numbers to help someone else down the road.

LEFT: D2TE-9A589-BA (but the year stamped in the circle says 71)

MIDDLE: no part number (but the year stamped in the circle says 72)

RIGHT: D50E-9A589

Carb%20Spacers%201.jpg

Carb%20Spacers%202.jpg

Since non of the non EGR carburetor spacers would work with my EGR manifold I decided to make an EGR block off plate out of 1/4 inch thick piece of steel I found in the garage, probably overkill but less cutting. Please note the different bolt sizes, I have no idea why Ford did that, but one is bigger than the other.

EGR%20Plate%201.jpg

EGR%20Plate%202.jpg

EGR%20Plate%203.jpg

EGR%20Plate%204.jpg

EGR%20Plate%205.jpg