Replacement Hoses

stlboarder

Founding Member
Jul 1, 2002
Arizona
I was thinking it would look pretty nice if all the hoses under the hood were braided stainless or even solid stainless. What would be involved in replacing all these. Would it be as simple as just taking off the old and screwing on the new? Has anyone on here done it? What sizes are the hoses too?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sure you could get any type of stainless wrapped hoses at any speed shop, as long as you stay with the 3/8" diameter fuel lines, you're good to go. You don't need to get anything special as far as size goes for most of the smaller hoses in the six. The radiator hoses and larger A/C - Heat hoses would take some poking around to find the correct sizes though. Let us know what you dig up.

Thanks... but one more question for the road. What will I have to do about the fittings? I want to get some of the screw on types from Earls or something. Are there threads already on say the A/C and fuel lines? Power steering?

From what I have seen just from poking around my engine bay all the time, most of the larger hoses connect using the spring-loaded clamps and some have other special type clamps.

I'd be careful about actually replacing some of those type hoses such as the two large hoses near the PCV valve which are the inlet and out take hoses for the heat inside the cabin. I'd go with something that just slips over them and use a clamp to either secure them or cut them long enough so that they don't slide back and forth.

Good luck on finding a radiator hose that will fit our V6's. I haven't found one yet, but I may just be looking at all the wrong websites. A hose such a this, that's is a big-ass hose, sitting right up front for all to see when the hood is popped, would best look chromed and made of metal.

You can also do other engine dress up stuff like strut covers, fuse cover, battery box, even cover the fender panel screws with dress up knobs.

Poke around www.50resto.com and www.uprproducts.com as well for stuff. Some stuff you might actually want to send out to get chromed such as the metal hoses. Other things you might just want to paint some anodized color provided it is heat resistant.

Check arounf these boards as well, someone has a maxed out chrome engine bay that is a bright as staring into the sun with a magnifying glass! He should be able to help out.

I hit up Autozone on my way to pick up a pizza, but the place was packed and I didn't have time to ask questions. I really didn't see anything there exclusively for rubber hoses, but I've two other major outlets to explore. I'll keep poking around for this product I heard about.