replacing pistion rings

blkstangman88

Apr 6, 2004
i pulled my 302 out of my 88 gt, o replace the rear main seal plus the motor mounts, well someone tode i should change the rings while i have the engine out and on stand. what would the easiest way be to remove the pistons with out messing with my distibitor, i got the whole engine down the block, and the distribitor is still there. if i were to remove the crank shaft to take the pistons out, would i be able to just put it back exactly the same way?

• Sponsors (?)

yes but if you don't have the heads off, you have to do that to get the pistons out. i would put new bearings in too and a timing set if you have a lot of miles

I will be replacing the rings in the motor I am building as well. I am running the stock forged pistons. Any advice on what type of rings I should use ( Molly or cast) ? What are the test ones out there ?

moly will last longer but i heard that they are harder and take longer to seat. i heard that you actually have to run the engine without water for a few minutes to seat them. you may also wanna get your heads redone while you put the new bearing and rings in.

this is funny, i have no problem with taking the pistons and everything off my engine, but the one thing i dont want to do is mess with my timing by removing the distibitor cuz i got the time advanced right to where i want it and i dont want to hassle with resetting it, does this sound sane to u guys?

Yea, I just got the block back from the machine shop, had it tanked, they installed new cam bearings, plugs and freeze plugs, and checked that the decks were square. Just got to hone it, and reassemble it with new Bearings. Heads were freshened by the same shop, I just have to finish up the port matching. :nice:

it sounds insane that you'll tear down the whole motor but you wont take the dist out? its easy enough to set.

besides if you gots the motor tore down and you plan to keep it for a while you might as well freshen it up. new rings, rod and main bearings, timing chain set, gaskets, oil pump, oil pump drive shaft, etc.

it may be easy, but it took like a dozen time of settin it to get it where i like it, and if i take the pistos out i dont even have to take the crankshaft out. but since im doing the bearing 2, i guess ill have to deal with resetting it....lol

On my motor, I will replace, or have replaced:

Cam bearings, Main bearings, Rod bearings, freeze plugs, Comp Caps indexed true roller timing chain, Melling HV oil pump, FMS HD oil pump drive rod. Crane hardened push rods

I always campher the crank journal holes then polish.

I also always use the following:

ARP: main cap studs, cam bolts, flywheel/flexplate bolts, balancer bolt
Felpro gaskets

Also, if funds are available, a stud girdle and windage tray are a great add on, as well as having rods reconned for ARP wavelock 7/16 rod bolts...

wild4stangs said:
Yea, I just got the block back from the machine shop, had it tanked, they installed new cam bearings, plugs and freeze plugs, and checked that the decks were square. Just got to hone it, and reassemble it with new Bearings. Heads were freshened by the same shop, I just have to finish up the port matching. :nice:
what did the hot tanking and decking cost ya? :shrug:

wild4stangs said:
what the hot tanking for the block and decking cost ya?

lets c, these r just price ranges, not exact, $85 for complete head gasket kit $17 for new speedo cable, $85 for motor mounts, $30 for rear main seal, $40 for pistion rings, bearing dont rememeber, hot tank free, close friend owns shop, oil pan gasket $30, i think thats most of it.....not that spendy but enough

All that must be removed to get the pistons out is the oil pan and heads... that's it...

cylinders MUST be honed when new rings are installed so they will seat. You can do it yourself w/ ball hone and drill, look at the factory crosshatch pattern and move the hone in and out as you spin to duplicate it. You should end up with scratches in two directions that make a 60 degree angle everywhere they intersect (that is, move the hone such that the balls move at a 30 degree angle with respect to the crank). Cover the crank with a heavy cloth rag before doing this to each cylinder. When all done scratching things up good, take the rag out and flush the cylinders with abundant amounts of solvent, as well as the crankshaft. Afterward each crank rod journal should be thoroughly sprayed down with the solvent and blown, not wiped, dry.