Right forum? Explorer computer in mustang

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey I wasn't sure if this was just opinion, tuning, or tech so I put it here, please tell me if I am completely insane, but why has no one put a explorer computer in a mustang and done away with the distributor? I just had this wild idea of putting a 5.0 in a car and was thinking obviously I would get the 5.0 out of an explorer from a junkyard. My question is why wouldn't I just get the engine, computer, put it in the car, change the cam and the springs in the heads and call it a day? It has the same firing order correct? I am guessing there is a lot more that goes into this which is what I am wondering. Can the computer work with a manual transmission? Will it just not be as fast? More electronic parts involved? Someone enlighten me please!!! I am really interested in this. I am not sure if it's cheaper to just grab everything at the same time, or track down the motor, harness, computer from different cars.

• Sponsors (?)

Its a popular swap into Ford Rangers. You could probably google Ranger V8 conversion and get an idea of what you are looking at. Not the exact same, but you will be swapping more or less all the main items.

Joe

What do you really gain?

Nothing really lol. I would never do it say on a fox. But if I were planning to put an 5.0 in an rx7 I was considering taking the motor harness and computer out of an explorer and using that whole setup rather than stealing the motor, then finding a mustang computer and harness, but its just much easier.