Rim Advice/Point of views.

I agree, not many black y2k cobras out there. It sucks because a year ago I was the only one in town with the y2k's, now I see them on many mustangs. As a matter of fact, just the other day i was driving with my brother and we pointed out 3 different mustangs with y2ks! =[. It doesn't make them unique anymore .

Black would be different, or maybe changing to regular cobra Rims. idk .. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the input you guys!

It looks like its 50/50. I've asked friends and family, and i get 50/50. Some like black some like chrome. I'm guessing maybe i shouldn't take the extra expense to powder coat them black and instead get some spacers.

what would you guys recommend for spacers?

Am I the only one that thinks it looks good ?:shrug: Besides who has black y2k cobra's ? I say murder that thing out :nice:

8-25-08025.jpg

I think they would look good black. How long have you had the rims? It is very difficult to get a good finish when powder coating old chrome rims, especially if they have seen their fair share of overspray from tire dressing. No matter how much you sand the chrome before you powder coat them the "armor all" will mess up your finish.

I was in your same boat a while back. I initially had the Chrome cobras on my car and wanted to powder coat them black but after learning thatthey might not turn out to good I found this set of black Cobras from OE distributors and if my memory serves me correct they were only about $500. Worth the extra three hundred in my opinion. Plus you can either sell your chrome ones or keep them and switch them back and forth whenever you like.

Also, just an observation what size tires are you running. They don't look very wide. Next set of tires you buy I think it would look a lot better if you went a little wider.

chrome FTW. Not a huge fan of chrome but y2ks are just plain sexy and they make the car look nice. Im the type of person that wants to change things after my car has been the same for a while, but youve got one sexy ride there man id leave it.

I went with an all black wheel before (95 r's) and i was tired of it within a month. I was sick. I went with 17x9/10.5 black bullitts and been happy ever since. From what little i can pick up about u from this post, I just dont think you'd be happy with an all black wheel. :shrug:

8-25-08025.jpg

I think they would look good black. How long have you had the rims? It is very difficult to get a good finish when powder coating old chrome rims, especially if they have seen their fair share of overspray from tire dressing. No matter how much you sand the chrome before you powder coat them the "armor all" will mess up your finish.

I was in your same boat a while back. I initially had the Chrome cobras on my car and wanted to powder coat them black but after learning thatthey might not turn out to good I found this set of black Cobras from OE distributors and if my memory serves me correct they were only about $500. Worth the extra three hundred in my opinion. Plus you can either sell your chrome ones or keep them and switch them back and forth whenever you like.

Also, just an observation what size tires are you running. They don't look very wide. Next set of tires you buy I think it would look a lot better if you went a little wider.

wow, I have to say your car is a good looking mustang! I want to get the cobra spoiler, but their really hard to find :( .

I've had the chrome y2k's for a little more than a year. As for the tire dressing, before/if i powder coat them I'll do more research on how it will affect the powder coating. But like you were saying it wouldn't be a bad idea to just buy the rims, maybe even find a wheel package (I'm probably going to be due for new tires within the next couple months).

I have 245/40 up front, and 255/40 on the back. Initially I had 245's all around. As my rear tires started wearing out, a guy offered me two 255 michelin pilot sports tires that were rarely used and at a price that I couldn't refuse. Next time around i will go wider:)

Black wheels on a black car just don't do it for me. As mentioned previously, the wheels simply disappear. A lil bling never hurt anyone. Keep the chrome, or sell em and get something else, but don't paint these black.

Did someone mention BRONZE? See my pic. 10 anniv knockoffs in bronze. :D

Black wheels on a black car just don't do it for me. As mentioned previously, the wheels simply disappear. A lil bling never hurt anyone. Keep the chrome, or sell em and get something else, but don't paint these black.

Did someone mention BRONZE? See my pic. 10 anniv knockoffs in bronze. :D

Yea i can agree that black rims have been played out a little too much. I been hearing that a lot too. On the bright side, i never really thought about bronze! and on your car it looks good too! hmm, it would be something new, maybe really nice too! Bronze y2k's :D

or don't be surprised if I copy you with the bronze 10th anniversary rims. lol

Well I think chrome is played out wayyyyy more than black. I love my wheels and the polished lip is just enough to break up the black. Unless you live in an area where all mustangs have black wheels than the only place they are "played out" is the internet. I hardly ever see Stangs with black wheels around here. I see way more with chrome. Now it is all subjective so if YOU like it than thats all that should matter when it comes to choosing mods. Not hey will this mod(s) make all the other Stang guys like me. Not trying to be a dick (i know it sounds like it), but I'm just being honest.:nice:

Well I think chrome is played out wayyyyy more than black. I love my wheels and the polished lip is just enough to break up the black. Unless you live in an area where all mustangs have black wheels than the only place they are "played out" is the internet. I hardly ever see Stangs with black wheels around here. I see way more with chrome. Now it is all subjective so if YOU like it than thats all that should matter when it comes to choosing mods. Not hey will this mod(s) make all the other Stang guys like me. Not trying to be a dick (i know it sounds like it), but I'm just being honest.:nice:

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind black wheels and that's why I'm considering it. I think in some cases they look really nice. Moreover, i know your not trying to be a dick :) . I don't want Y2k's or atleast chrome because their everywhere around here, So i'm not trying to be like all the other stangs in this city. Then again black wheels are everywhere here too. I'm trying to be different. Its always good to get different point of views, so thank you. Unfortunately it seems that in my area there's black rims everywhere whether their aftermarket or custom, idk why :shrug:

As for bronze i haven't seen any. I believe its like you said, it depends on the area.