roller block vs. non-roller

BmOnEy

Founding Member
Jun 6, 2002
Marietta, GA
what is the difference in a roller block and one that uses a hydraulic cam? is there a big advantage to one over the other? i'm looking to get a block to build up and i want to get one that will be good to handle 500+ horsepower (stroked and forced induction). thanks for any advice and input.
Brian :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

BmOnEy said:
what is the difference in a roller block and one that uses a hydraulic cam? is there a big advantage to one over the other? i'm looking to get a block to build up and i want to get one that will be good to handle 500+ horsepower (stroked and forced induction). thanks for any advice and input.
Brian :flag:

The issue is not really the roller vs nonroller. The issue is the vintage and place of creation. Supposedly there are older blocks that are stronger and supposedly the mexican made blocks are the strongest recent blocks. Both would obviously be non roller configuration. A roller retrofit is a good option if you chose to go with an older block.. You may want to consider a sportsman block esp stroked and blown (or turbo). If that is out of the price range, check into a 351 block. They are stronger than a 302 block all the way around. Of course you would need the swap stuff, oilpan, exhaust, some brakets and lower intake manifod that would accomidate the larger windsor block. Weigh that against the cost of a good block.