Rough idle and stalling

pyroman

Founding Member
Jul 28, 2002
Ennis, Texas
OK I have a problem with my stang. It has a rough idle (kind of sputters) and it tends to stall when I slow down for say (a stop sign), if it doesn't stall it sputters and runs rough (kind of lurches). However, once I start accelerating it runs as smooth as can be. Today I replaced my fuel filter, fuel hose (noticed a hole in it), PCV valve, and cleaned and reconditioned my K&N airfilter. Now, I checked my spark plugs and they are fine, my spark plug wires are only a couple of years old, battery is brand new as are the cables. Ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I would check the idle screw on your carb if that doesn't work adjust the fuel mixture .

I had the same problem about a week ago, and then one day the car wouldn't start two days after the ruff idle, it was all of a 30 second fix, hope the same is true for you.

OK well I was taking a look in my shop manual this morning at carb adjustments, however after looking through all the carbs offered on the cars of 67, none looked like the one I have on mine at all. Its been on the car ever since I bought it (3+ years ago) and I assumed it to be the stock 2V. But now it appears its not. This is probably futile, but can anyone identify from this picture?

BTW, my engine bay looks alot nicer now, old picture

227329_2_full.jpg

that is an old carter AFB, good carb. honestly it looks it could stand a rebuild, but to adjust the idle mix the 2 screws in the lower front (the ones with the springs behind them) are your idle mixture screws a good setting to start with is 2 full turns out, in other words screw them in all the way until you feel them bottom out DO NOT TIGHTEN THEM, just until you feel them start to resist you you turning them, the screw them out 2 full turns, from there adjust them in or out until the idle smooths out. the idle speed adjustment screw should be right behind the linkage where the throttle rod attaches, ideal should be between 700-800 rpm in park if you don't have a tach you'll just have to guesstimate.