Engine RPM cut out intermittently

RotFox90

Jan 21, 2024
Connecticut
Hey All,

Curious to see if anyone else has experienced and knows the probable cause.

So as the title states, my RPM will drop intermittently after driving for a bit. You feel the car lose power as well. The car has had that problem since I bought it, I put on a replacement distributor and TFI from RockAuto and seemed to clear it up.

(I have the TFI remote mounting kit installed- these parts installed maybe a year ago, take it for a short drive maybe 1/2 times a week, sometimes sits a little longer-so not many miles on the parts, I know they can just be crap replacement parts) New fuel filter. New replacement MAF sensor as well from RockAuto.

It does happen more frequently when it’s warmer. No CEL/no stored codes. Distributor/TFI?

• Sponsors (?)

Is the ECU original i.e. never been repaired? If so you may want to pull it and check the caps. They can be swollen and also have corrosion where the legs solder to the board. These computers are all over 30 years old now so the failure rate is rising rapidly. ECU Exchange is where most are sending them. Not saying this is the cause but it seems to be a trend.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
have you tried a smoke test? what TFI did you buy from Rockauto? also which TFI remote mounting kit? where did you mount it? and check your current TFI Module, by buying this off Ebay https://www.ebay.ca/itm/25553718100...pid=5335821607&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1
and don't for get to buy a 9 Volt Battery.
just like Aero Coupe said, The ECU Exchange is the best place to get your ECU it fixed at. I had mine sent in and they repaired the 3 caps and it was done flawless.
hope this helps you solve the issue.

Last edited:
That’s a cool little tool.

I don’t remember the brand off hand, I believe Standard Motor Products? Which from my experience usually has decent OE replacement parts.

I have it mounted on the passenger side of the engine bay along the fender.

How much can the ecu repair cost?

$150

Reactions: 1 user
That’s a cool little tool.

I don’t remember the brand off hand, I believe Standard Motor Products? Which from my experience usually has decent OE replacement parts.

I have it mounted on the passenger side of the engine bay along the fender.

How much can the ecu repair cost?
Can you take a pic of it installed?