RPM or Stealth Intake with this combo?

wickedmach1

Apr 8, 2003
Austin, TX
Should I run the RPM or Stealth with the combo listed below? I know that many people say to go with the Vic Jr. intake and AFR 205's with the 393 stroker but I want to use my shaker and it will be too tall. I also know that the RPM Air Gap is also a canidate but is also too tall. I know I will lose some HP but am willing to do it for the shaker. I am not a HP freak that will be looking for more HP down the road. If I can meet my goal of 480 - 500 HP at the flywheel, I will be happy. I am not building a race car. I want great street performance from this engine. What do you guys think this combo will do with either intake? What are the pro's and con's of each? I will have the camshaft computed by Motor Machine & Supply to get me the cam I really need. Can this combo make the HP listed? Thanks again for all the help you guys have given me.

393w Stroker bored .030" over
Scat Crankshaft 3.850 stroke
Scat H-Beam Rods 6.200 length

Hydraulic Roller Camshaft (duration @ .050" = 224/232 ; valve lift w/ 1.6 = 555/565 (MAY CHANGE, COMP RECOMMENDED)

AFR 185 Cylinder Heads w/ upgraded springs
Weiand Stealth or Edelbrock RPM Intake Manifold
Street Demon 750 CFM Carburetor w/ mechanical secondaries
Comp Cams 1.6 ratio Pro Magnum Roller Rocker Arms
10.0:1 Compression Ratio w/ Forged Probe Pistons
1 3/4" Headers
MSD Ignition
Edelbrock Water Pump
T-5 G-Force Tranny
9" Rearend w/ 3.89 gears and locker

• Sponsors (?)

I love my Stealth. It's power range is from idle to nearly 7,000 RPM. There is no other intake out there with so a wide range. I don't think you could go wrong with the Stealth.

We're in the same boat. I'm in the process of building a 408 with AFR 205's, 10:1 CR and a cam with similar lift numbers but a little more duration. I've asked the Gods of the ford induction world (principally, Ed @ FTI) about the use of the Stealth (I'm trying to retain my stock 67 hood). His thought's are the manifold will work well and produce tons of torque. It will give up some HP when things approach the 6500+rpm range, I don't know about you but I don't think mine will spend much time there anyways.

The only problem I'm having with the build is matching the Stealth ports to the AFR's. To enlarge the intakes ports I'm going the have to thin things out more than I'm comfortable with (this is my first try at gasket matching).

Good Luck.

BTW: It was also my understanding that the Perf. RPM and Stealth are a close match

Pick up a used Torker 351w.
You can get them cheap used and they are a very short intake.
They work on the same principle as the Stealth and RPM, just goes about it differently.
It has a very small plenum and long runners to enhance torque while retaining good upper rpm power.
You really don't need a dual plane intake with the torque you will have from cubes alone.
My second choice would be a Stealth... large plenum and fat runners to allow good upper rpm from a dual plane.
The only drawback is the height as you mentioned.
It is quite a bit taller than stock.
Good luck
Dave

ShannonW,

Why are you using the AFR 205's if you don't plan on your usable power being around 6500 - 7000 RPM. Isn't that what the 205's are for, a high revving engine? I don't see using the 205's if you are not going to use atleast a Vic Jr. intake. Many people claim that the 205's actual match up with the super Vic intake the best. Please explain if I am missing something. Thanks.

wickedmach1 said:
ShannonW,

Why are you using the AFR 205's if you don't plan on your usable power being around 6500 - 7000 RPM. Isn't that what the 205's are for, a high revving engine? I don't see using the 205's if you are not going to use atleast a Vic Jr. intake. Many people claim that the 205's actual match up with the super Vic intake the best. Please explain if I am missing something. Thanks.
It's all about cubic inches...
A cam, intake, carb, heads, headers, etc... that are 'wild' on a 351 cid engine are tamed and become mild as you add displacement, more so with stroke increases than bore increases.
The engines in question have alot more stroke than stock, so wild becomes mild.
Dave

""The only problem I'm having with the build is matching the Stealth ports to the AFR's. To enlarge the intakes ports I'm going the have to thin things out more than I'm comfortable with (this is my first try at gasket matching).""

I wouldn't worry about enlarging your intake too much to match the afr's. Going from a slightly smaller port to a slightly larger one doesn't really disrupt airflow too much. many people go nuts porting out their intakes and all they end up with is a balloon in the middle of their runners, which does nothing for power.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT waste your money calling Motor Machine & Supply for their almighty cam recommendation.

I cannot stress enough what a waste of money and time talking to that guy was.

I know MM&FF's says he is all that, but he was guessing at my cam...and that is putting it nicely.

dolfan87,

Which AFR heads are you using? Which intake? How do you like the solid roller? What are the specs on the cam? Can you give me an idea of what your HP and torque numbers are? Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to pick up some pointers from a person who has the same car and engine as I do. Thanks.

I think that aside from putting on an Edelbrock SP2P, any intake you use will still make power with that motor. You won't miss the Vic Jr.or the RPM airgap if they've never been there. As has already been posted here, all you're gonna be missing is some HP at the topend of the rpm range, there's still gonna be plenty of torque at the bottom end where it counts on the street.

wickedmach1 said:
dolfan87,

Which AFR heads are you using? Which intake? How do you like the solid roller? What are the specs on the cam? Can you give me an idea of what your HP and torque numbers are? Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to pick up some pointers from a person who has the same car and engine as I do. Thanks.

They are the 185's but with a stage 2 port job on them. Cam is a [email protected] duration, and 585 lift. I am running the RPM Airgap.

Engine has never been fired, as I am still working on the car, but I followed a pattern of an engine built in MM&FF, and that engine popped out 505 hp at the crank. I also don't plan on spinning mine any higher than 6 grand, if that high. I am also expecting a bit more power out of my setup. I have a bigger cam, more compression, and better heads.

If i get 425-450 at the wheels, I will be happy. My car doesn't have the shaker hood, so I am no help to you on that issue.