Running super rich

00Blackgtvert

Apr 11, 2005
Northeast PA
Well i havent been on in a while but i just took the car out of storage and i came upon an old problem. My car is running super rich. Like i smell pure gas when i smell the exhaust. what could be my problem, is ther anything i can do or do i need a tune up?

• Sponsors (?)

Are you throwing any codes by chance? I'm pretty sure that the o2 sensors would be throwing fault codes if it were the case that they are going bad.

The IAT could be bad, not sending a good temp for enough air to mix with the fuel. Use a multimeter to test that. Just do this to test the IAT:

1. Remove it from the car.
2. Probe at outside temp and write down resistance.
3. Stick in freezer for a few minutes.
4. Probe again immediate after removing and write down resistance.

Is there any noticeable change in resistance? If not, then your IAT is bad, which should throw a code as well.

Do you by chance have an aftermarket intake?

I noticed that your exhaust has SOME back pressure, so that shouldn't be the cause of you running rich. This is currently the problem I am having, I have no back pressure and my AFR is dropping to nearly 11:1 in the higher RPMs. :nonono:

But yeah, let me know how the IAT test goes.

So yeah, it's most likely your o2 sensors if you're throwing a code. But yes, when your CEL (Check Engine Light) or often called SES (Service Engine Soon) light is on, that means you are "throwing a code."

But like Dope said, please go to the nearest Autozone (other autoparts stores may check for this for free as well) and have them check it for you.

Please have a pen and paper ready when you go so that you can write down the codes. The codes will look something like this: P0136, P1112, etc.

Please let us know :)

The car also adjusts the AFR when it throws certain codes I thought and makes it run rich to save the engine from a lean-out or something...that could also be why it's running richer. I'm not sure if a High-flow cat allows more fuel smell through than a stock H-pipe but if it's as bad as people make O/R pipes out to be + running rich I bet that could be part of your problem. Only way to tell though is autozone.

They run anywhere from $50 and up, I think. If you have to replace them, spend the extra few bucks to get wide-band sensors. Bosch makes a really good wide-band sensor.

If you can use a crescent wrench to unscrew the o2 sensor from the mid-pipe, and you can unplug the o2 sensor from the wire hardness, then you can do it.

IMHO, I would NEVER pay ANYONE to put new o2 sensors in. Depending on how hard they are to get out of the pipe, it could be short as a 5 minute job.

The only tools that are required are the correct size crescent wrench (sorry, I don't know the size off hand), a ramps/jack+stands, and the new o2 sensors, and POSSIBLY PB blaster (rust agent).

Let us know how the code diagnoses turns out. I can almost guarantee from the symptoms that it's one, if not both, of your rear o2 sensors.

P.S. Did this problem happen before or after you installed the catted H pipe?

I ask this because some cats may still require MIL Eliminators ($50 or so depending on where you get them). What these do is trick the car into thinking the car has proper cat filtering.

you know, i started my car few days ago for the first time since late october, and my car is running super rich too. Like i can see a smoke comeout from tail pipe when I rev it little.

I wonder if this has something to do with the fact battery was completely dead??

you know, i started my car few days ago for the first time since late october, and my car is running super rich too. Like i can see a smoke comeout from tail pipe when I rev it little.

I wonder if this has something to do with the fact battery was completely dead??
If I read it correctly, he said it was an old problem, meaning that it was a problem before he stored it.

But mity, it's possible that your ECU got reset and the car hasn't adapted to the exhaust yet. IMO, you should always disconnect the battery if you think you're going to store it for more than a week or so.