s-197 Heads and Cams question

killermach1

Jul 19, 2004
Has anyone put new heads, new cams, or both on a s197 yet? How is it working out? Are you happy with them or would you have done it different? What brands of heads or cam did you go with. I would like to go naturally aspirated, as opposed to sc.

• Sponsors (?)

Right now I am dooing research I also want to remain N/A I have seen reports of 360+ RW HP N/A I think it is difficult but 375 would be what I am shooting for. I have read a few good articles lately on cams but no real info on heads. I am looking to go with a good CAI, Throttle body, new heads, charge motion delete plates, long tube headers, mid, cat back, possibly slightly larger injector, and obviously a flash tuner. If I dont get good numbers out of that then I may go as far as new pistons and a crank.

As far as heads go. There isn't any out yet (aftermarket wise). Several aftermarket companys are selling CNC ported stock heads and Hand ported stock heads though. These are seeing some pretty good gains, but there rather expensive.

I put down about 350 rwhp with heads and cams. The heads were the FRPP set and for the price I would suggest looking at other options. They picked up just under 14 rwhp. I used comp cams, and if I remember right the gains were in the 30 rwhp area. Big thumbs up for the cams. So, to answer your question I would say get the cams and wait on the heads for now. I haven't seen any out yet that could justify the cost. Car is a blast to drive with the 4.30's in it.

heads

I thought our heads flow pretty darn well stock? It seems to me to get the most out of ported heads out there you need to be running some form of Forced Induction. Im planning on taking mine all motor as well but that won't be for a few years since I rely on it to get me to and from work

I saw a this on C&L's website- http://www.cnlperformance.com/05_3v.html

Testing of the factory intake port on the stock 3 valve cylinder head indicates a MAXIMUM flow capacity of 236 CFM. To put this in perspective, the "original" Edelbrock Performer 5.0 cylinder head designed for the 1986-1995 Mustang applications flowed a maximum of 212 CFM with the 1.9" intake valve and 220 CFM when supplied with the optional 2.02" intake valve. The popular "Twisted Wedge" cylinder heads flow about 245 CFM on the intake port "out of the box" with their standard 2.02" intake valves. It is actually quite impressive that the stock cylinder head flows 236 CFM "completely stock".