Roush Saleen California edition gt?

• Sponsors (?)

2000xp8 said:

I do remember a picture of one of those cars in the third Saleen Performance Catalogue....However, there is no mention of this in The Saleen Book by Brad Bowling. I guess you could always call Liz @ Saleen to verify it. Personally, I won't spend money on a Saleen one-off prototype car that isn't even serialized or recognized by Saleen Inc as one of there own.........

Yes,

Those cars were legit. I don't know if he has his entire story correct, but Saleen did take a few white GT's and install a few decals, racecraft suspension, and those four lug AREs but no console or engine plaques. It was the budget mans Saleen. I have no idea how many they made. This one looks like it has been rode hard. I would not give it any extra value over a nice LX.

I just ask you guys this stuff to feed my curiosity. I appreciate the answers.

I dislike gt's so regardless of cost i would never buy it.

jay briand said:
i dont know about the California Edition but Saleen offered the GT sport (white) but i think it was for 93 only. if anyone has the large 1994 Saleen catalog the GT sport is in there.

Jay-

That is the 2nd edition catalogue......I guess I need to dig that one out of the Saleen archeive box in the garage to get you guy's a picture. I do believe that picture was also in the 3rd edition catalouge with the SR Race Car on the cover :nice:

jay briand said:
i dont know about the California Edition but Saleen offered the GT sport (white) but i think it was for 93 only. if anyone has the large 1994 Saleen catalog the GT sport is in there.

Jay-

The GT Sports were an extension of the California Edition concept and were sold nationwide.

From my research;
Saleen made 60 California Editions in 1989 and 40 in 1990. They were NOT full Saleens, but they did have the full Racecraft Suspension treatment w/ Monroe GP shocks and struts, 4 lug customized white American Racing mesh wheels, (assuming no brake upgrade) and General XP high performance tires. I don't believe the interiors were modded at all, meaning no Flofit seats or Momo steering wheel. I have also seen black as well as grey interiors. I *believe* that all had modified tailpipes, to stick out under the standard GT bumper cover, not 100% sure of that. I have also seen them with the standard "cheese grater" taillights and some with LX tails, but those could have been swapped, I guess. Of course they all came with the Saleen wing. These probably sold very well, falling in price range between the Ford top of the line GT and the full Saleen treatment (SC at the time). Weird that they were left out of Brad Bowling's book, as it is extremely comprehensive, otherwise.
I have no information about the GT Sport model, but I do know it was offered in 1992 only. The nationwide extension of the California edition makes sense. Anyone else?

cool. so the California edition & the GTSport are 2 different cars. after looking through the 1994 Saleen catalog #2 again i came across the spot where it says the GTSport was offered in 92 & 93 (only the 93 was offered w/ the trailing edge rear wing) on page 6 in the small caption descibing the American racing GTSport alloy wheels.

Jay

Not to be overly nit-picky, but since there have been some references to Brad Bowling's Saleen book, I'd like to say that it cannot be relied upon to be completely 100% accurate.

I took delivery of my copy just last week (I know, I know - what took me so long?) & briefly scanned through it. I've noted an error in a photo caption wherein a S281 coupe is misidentified as a S351.

There may be others, but that's the only error I found immediately.

SVT Saleen said:
Not to be overly nit-picky, but since there have been some references to Brad Bowling's Saleen book, I'd like to say that it cannot be relied upon to be completely 100% accurate.

I took delivery of my copy just last week (I know, I know - what took me so long?) & briefly scanned through it. I've noted an error in a photo caption wherein a S281 coupe is misidentified as a S351.

There may be others, but that's the only error I found immediately.

There are many places in The Saleen Book that have a few things that are inaccurate. Remember, Brad did all the leg work himself for this book. He did have help from Liz @ Saleen, Mark @ performanceautosport, and others like that. Brad himself worked for Saleen during the 80's so he had first hand knowledge for those cars. The later years he had to go by what others said. But in a book with this much detail and depth, there will be mistakes. However, it is by far, the best source of Saleen Info and history bar none....

Go ahead and check out any other automotive book out there, your bound to find mistakes in them as well......

Not to bring a thread back from the dead but....
I was trying to find out what these cars are worth. My dad has an 89 Saleen California Edition. It is just as described above. Racecraft suspension and ARE wheels. No engine or interior changes. Looks like they are fairly rare. hmm..

Not to bring a thread back from the dead but....
I was trying to find out what these cars are worth. My dad has an 89 Saleen California Edition. It is just as described above. Racecraft suspension and ARE wheels. No engine or interior changes. Looks like they are fairly rare. hmm..

Welcome!

They are fairly rare, but rare doesn't necessarily mean increased value.

Assuming you have documentation, the vehicle will be worth more than a regular Mustang GT, but certainly not as much as a Saleen -- but with the right buyer, who knows.

If you have any brochures, we'd love to borrow them for our literature archive at:

Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club - SOEC - Vehicle Specification Sheets

Please PM me or contact us at SOEC if you can help us with the Saleen Library.

I take this is based on a '89 GT hatchback?

Or do you have one of the '89 Saleen/Eagle One give-away GT Convertibles with 4wdb and 5-star, 5-lug AREs? (Not to be confused with the Eagle Series Saleen.)