saleen or KB supercharger???

Blown00GTAuto said:
Note that once the KB was installed there were additional mods that were not present when the Novi was in place.

And for those who are not familiar with the differences between centrifugal (Novi) and twin screw (KB) superchargers, the psi number comparison is apples to oranges.

The Novi 2000 could have definitely run a 10.0 (or high 9's) on the same car with more optimal mods.
The only significant mods I remember are the A/C delete and an electric water pump. The KB is definitely 0.3 to 0.5 sec quicker than the Novi. In addition, it's much easier to keep the belt on. The KB is definitely a MUCH superior blower to a centrifugal. Please don't come on here and insinuate I would try to falsify information. My daily driver runs 10.0's. What does your's run?

• Sponsors (?)

Im all for KB, but it must also be noted that boost is a measure of resistance. Were you running the stock PI manifold Jim? The KB replaces this with its own lower so it may have less resistance.

the novi has much more potential on a race gas (27PSI) vs the KB...but for a DD pump gas car KB is the best. This has been discussed plety of times in the past.

jimfitzgerald said:
The only significant mods I remember are the A/C delete and an electric water pump. The KB is definitely 0.3 to 0.5 sec quicker than the Novi. In addition, it's much easier to keep the belt on. The KB is definitely a MUCH superior blower to a centrifugal. Please don't come on here and insinuate I would try to falsify information. My daily driver runs 10.0's. What does your's run?

:nice: I think everyone should remember that :hail2:

jimfitzgerald said:

uh oh

this is getting ugly...

Bottom line, you want a reliable street machine.. get the cheapest blower that gives you the best power... what more is there to say?

hotmustang331 said:
Im all for KB, but it must also be noted that boost is a measure of resistance. Were you running the stock PI manifold Jim? The KB replaces this with its own lower so it may have less resistance.

the novi has much more potential on a race gas (27PSI) vs the KB...but for a DD pump gas car KB is the best. This has been discussed plety of times in the past.
I was running a heavily ported Bullitt intake with the Novi and running 22 psi of boost.

OK, here's the bottom line IMHO. This is based on my experience from having owned both a Novi 2000 and a 2.2 KB. For a street car, the KB is far superior to the Novi. For a track car that runs low 10's to high 9's, the KB is superior. If you want to run faster than high 9's, the Novi would be the way to go. If you don't agree, that's fine, I have no vested interest in KB. Get what makes you happy.

Between the Saleen and the Kenne Bell blower, I'd also swing in the direction of the Kenne Bell. As it's been stated already, the Kenne Bell kit utilizes a superior manifold design by comparison and carries with it the potential to make more horsepower and torque as a result.

Had Saleen spent a little more of their efforts on building a better product and less on marketing a familiar name, the choice might be different. But as it sits, the Kenne Bell would get my money over the Saleen if the choice were mine.

As for the Twin Screw vs Centrifugal debate…..well, that’s a whole other thread and it’s been debated over many, many times. The choice isn’t as cut and dry as many would like to believe. Opinions are like *******s…everyone has one. So be sure to take comments based on only that for what they’re worth.

Gearbanger 101 said:
As for the Twin Screw vs Centrifugal debate…..well, that’s a whole other thread and it’s been debated over many, many times. The choice isn’t as cut and dry as many would like to believe. Opinions are like *******s…everyone has one. So be sure to take comments based on only that for what they’re worth.
Especially from someone who has not actually owned and driven both of them on the street and on the track.

So by your reasoning, one must have had to have owned and driven both set-ups in order to be qualified to comment on them? :shrug: I know plenty of people that own fast cars and couldn't tell you how to change the oil in them. I'd hardly consider ownership of the product a standard in which to be considered.

Gearbanger 101 said:
So by your reasoning, one must have had to have owned and driven both set-ups in order to be qualified to comment on them? :shrug: I know plenty of people that own fast cars and couldn't tell you how to change the oil in them. I'd hardly consider ownership of the product a standard in which to be considered.
That's not what I said. You are the one that cautioned people about listening to other peoples opinions. All I said is that you need to have owned and driven both to have a valid opinion. Remember, as you said, otherwise you're just an *******.

Edit: Oh, did I mis-quote you? Then don't mis-quote me. Thanks.

jimfitzgerald said:
You are the one that cautioned people about listening to other peoples opinions. All I said is that you need to have owned and driven both to have a valid opinion. Remember, as you said, otherwise you're just an *******.
I certainly did. Opinions are just that. But ownership and having driven both doesn't necessarily make someone an expert on the subject either. Not to split hairs here Jim, but it's widely known that the wrench time and technical aspects of both of your set ups have been put together and managed by the boys at MPH. Your knowledge on the project is pretty much limited to what they tell you. I'm not insinuating that you don't have a clue what you're talking about, but because you've owned both set-ups doesn't make you the foremost expert on the subject. You’ve had better luck with your 2.2L than you did with your Novi…..well, others have different result. But to say without a doubt that one is better than another based on your own personal experience is kind of stretching it.

I've owned neither kit, but know people who have and have worked on and been around enough power adder cars as well as done enough research on the technical aspects of them that I would consider myself fairly well versed on the subject. Would I consider my word rule??? Not on your life, but it's not bunk either and others seem to respect my opinions on the subject.

...and what's with the ******* comment? I wasn't attacking you or anyone else directly. As a matter of fact, my comment wasn't directed towards you at all. It was merely a generalized statement. What side of the bed did you get up on this morning?

Very few things in life are a certainty. Most things are a matter of opinion. Opinions are developed through personal experience as well as input from other sources. You know nothing of my mechanical knowledge, so don't try to say how I acquired my knowledge of this. True, MPH built and tuned my car, but I'm the one driving it 1/2 way across the country and racing it and dealing with any issues. Each of us is free to express our opinion and it is up the others to decide how much weight to put behind it. Have you ever driven a blower car? Have you ever driven a KB car? Have you ever raced a 10 second car? Secondly, I don't know of any shop I would trust more than MPH. Ask Tim his opinion on the KB vs centrifugal. I think it's great when people express their opinion about things, but when they start dissing other people, that's when I get pissed.

Edit: And if you noticed my post above, I said "IMHO."
Edit: And I managed every aspect of my project. I just don't turn wrenches.

From reading your posts, on this and other boards, I think you both know a lot about cars. On this particular subject I think Jim has an opinion that I would be more likely to put weight in. Nothing personal GB'r but owning, driving and racing both setups provides a pretty good real world info to share.
Point is you would both say KB over Saleen.

jimfitzgerald said:

Me insinuate? You added more mods to your car and didn't mention them when making a direct comparison. The mods definitely made the car faster.

That much inferior Novi 2000 you had could have run 10 flat or high 9's too if it had been set up with equivalent additional mods and that is something most people would not attempt to dispute. As far as your KB being a better street car, how often do you go WOT out on the street anyways?

We all know how fast your car runs, but you ask what does mine run? It runs fast enough for me to have all the fun I need ....out on the street. Since I've never taken it to the track after five years, that's some indication of where my motivation lies.

Let's face it, Centri's rule :p.