Roush SALEEN owners and Enthusiasts club?

• Sponsors (?)

Waste of time. They never respond to any e-mails, never e-mail or contact you about any activities. Join the Saleen Club of America. At least you will get a newsletter. My experience with the SCOA has been less than stellar too but the newsletter is good and they will respond to you.

Whose a member?
Is it worth it?
Dose anyone subscribe to the Team SALEEN's newsletter FASTLANE?
What do you get?

Let me get my flame suit on...

I've been a SOEC member since about 1996... The newsletters have been sporatic at times, but the editor's got some help for a change (including myself) and they're looking real good (thanks to a very talented buddy on the East Coast).

SOEC membership gets you 10% off anything at the Saleen Store as well as on phone orders. There are also special activities, driving events, and behind-the-scenes tours at Irvine and Troy which are for members only. You also get the chance to participate in some of the Saleen corporate events as an "ambassador" if you like (or just have fun). Though independent from Saleen, SOEC has very close ties with Saleen and it has been very rewarding for me and the others who have helped out.

SOEC dues are $25 a year and you get a membership card, issued with a member number, as well as a static-cling window sticker. If you buy as many posters and shirts and jackets as I do, the 10% discount pays for itself in a month.

There is a huge inventory of spec sheets, press photos and other historical literature on the SOEC website, and I know there are others getting prepared for going online. SOEC members will be getting expanded benefits online when we finish getting our members-only sections. So there's a lot coming.

Owners of new Saleens get a complimentary 1-year membership in SOEC, but the process at Saleen hasn't been too good until recently and there have been lost memberships during the growth years of 2005 and 2006 -- that said, if any of you never heard from SOEC, please drop them a line by visiting www.soec.org with your car number and mailing address and the office will gladly send you a newsletter.

As for Team Saleen, their newsletter FastLane is currently not being published. When you do complete your New Owner Survey (once Saleen has contacted you at some time after they get the sale report from the dealer), you get a $100 certificate to be used to purchase anything from Saleen (such as parts or apparrel) -- including putting that towards a Team Saleen membership. Currently, Team Saleen might best be considered a preferred buyer program, and you get a jacket upon your inaugural $75 annual membership dues, as well as a 10% discount on purchases. You can also get authenticating letters and the like, even if you're not the original owner.

So there's a little something for everyone.

Actually,

That was a very nice, informative post Jim.

I guess if someone has been bitten or left for dead on the side of the road by SOEC then so be it. That's what it's felt like for a while. As for me, I have been a multiple Saleen owner since 88 but not an active member of any clubs. Just informally like Mr. Bomb said.

If SOEC steps up to the plate for real I'm sure quite a few people will take notice. For the record SCOA has been really good about the "rally" of the troops and having organized meetings consistently including the RRR newsletter.

I have not seen or heard a peep from SOEC since the Saleen show back in September. Maybe I missed something but I didn't even see Debbie walking around selling stickers.:shrug:

Whose a member?
Is it worth it?
Dose anyone subscribe to the Team SALEEN's newsletter FASTLANE?
What do you get?

Sorry, I can't speak about the SOEC, not much contact myself. No reason you can't belong to multiple clubs either...

I can tell you that I asked a similiar question about a year ago. Mike from SCOA was the only response I got, along with a couple private messages/emails as follow-up from other SCOA members. That's where I joined!!!

I like the Powerrrr newsletter - not bad (at all!) for a club newsletter, and all the members I've made contact with are friendly. For $25 a year, it's not a bad deal! :)

My ONLY SCOA "knock" (not really) is that I live in an area that's on the border of several different "regions" (Kansas City), so most of the regional events are 500+ miles away - Indiana, Colorado, etc... I've tried to encourage other local Saleen owners to join, but haven't made much progress. A small specialty club (like for SCOA or SOEC) is only going to be as good as YOU make it - gotta put forth some effort to "be a part". I've been considering doing the Kansas State Director's job, and really need to get off my #$$ and do something like that - if we could get Kansas, MO, IA, and NE folks together, it might make the club even better for ALL of us!

I've been an MCA member for 6 years now, and other than the Mustang Times magazine, don't get much from it... but then again, I don't GIVE much either, as I don't even belong to the local club. :rolleyes:

FWIW, my dos centavos about the SOEC are not exactly positive.

I became actively involved with the club @ the very beginnings of it when John McCauley was the founder & national director/coordinator somewhere around 1990 or '91 (I can't remember the exact year). Having just purchased my first Saleen a couple of years prior I was relatively excited about a national club dedicated exclusively to Saleen Mustangs. I was already a member of the MCA due to the previous ownership of my '65 2+2 but it was not yet recognizing the late model Mustangs as it does currently.

However, all of the effort I put into assisting John in establishing the SOEC locally here in San Diego went unrewarded & the personal experience I had with John @ the first Cruisin' the Queen show in '91 pretty much soured me on continuing my involvement. Not to mention that the communication between the club & the membership was so sporadic that I sensed the club was going nowhere & hence my dues were wasted money.

About this time I also decided to join Team Saleen since it was officially sanctioned by Saleen Performance as opposed to being just a non-affiliated club like SOEC. My primary motivation for being a member of TS was the initial membership goodies, like the jacket, hat, etc. but also the 10% discount on merchandise purchased from Saleen; a discount of which I took full advantage when I still owned my '89 Saleen Mustang.
However, upon selling the latter vehicle I ceased my membership & never renewed it even upon the purchase of my '98 Speedster because Saleen ceased offering parts for the pre-'99 models & thus the discount was no longer of any use to me.

Meanwhile the SOEC surprisingly continued to function but with John turning over the presidency & operation of the club to Debbie Blaylock who was also a grand poobah with the MCA. I had long since ceased my membership in the latter club for certain particular reasons & my personal experience with Debbie @ the MCA's Grand National show in Mustang, Oklahoma in '97 only cemented my animosity towards the club & its principals. Upon realizing she was also involved with the SOEC, that convinced me that neither club would warrant my interest, let alone my $$$, ever again.

Perhaps, like Jim, there are those who have experienced positive results from membership in the SOEC over the decade & 1/2 it's been in existence. If so, then that is great.

But like Marcus, I have consciously chosen to not being actively involved in any more car clubs & simply enjoy the camaraderie of those whom I've met either through websites like Stangnet or @ the shows I annually attend or both.

Ha ha haa ha ha,

Poobah, poobah. Yep. Yippee ki yay. expletive. Exactly.:lol:

Love it.

The truth is starting and maintaining a car specific club at any level is a lot of ****ing work. It has to be ones only job.