Sanding Clutch Disk

No.11

10 Year Member
Oct 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I want to reuse my clutch disk, but I was told to sand it down a bit to get the rough spots out. What grit sandpaper would be best for this job? Thanks!

It's a spec stage 3 with the 6 pucks.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like bad mojo to me. Maybe if you had a mill and could guarantee the surface would be flat and true, but short of that, you're begging for a grabby clutch and hotspots on the flywheel IMHO.

Its an old schoool thing but can be down, all you really want to do is knock the glaze off, not actually move material. Ive done it with 400 grit, similar to roughing up a brake pad.

The way most clutches work is they actually deposit a small amount of material onto the flywheel ;)

I've done it as well. Anytime I have to remove the clutch assembly then reinstall it because of something else (i.e. ream main etc.), I've scuffed up the surfaces of the plate, disk, and flywheel.

After that, normal operation of the clutch will, "reseat" it all.

I can't say whether this extends the life of the clutch or make claims that heads above not doing it but what I can say is that I've never had a reinstalled clutch, squeel, chatter, squeek, or otherwise act stupid when put back into service.