School me on automotive helmets

nickthegenius

Dec 23, 2002
Elwood, IN
For me to go look at motorcycle helmets, I know what I'm looking for feature/ratings-wise, but When it comes to automotive helmets, I know absolutely zilch.

I'm not a die-hard racer, but need a helmet after being asked to park my car last Friday night at the track. My times still suck big time for my mods, but its still 13.99-under and I currently don't have an automotive helmet. So what kinds of features should I look for in a bare-bones bargain helmet that will still do the job? Who carries helmets for a good price?

• Sponsors (?)

well i still need a helmet for the track, since i dont own a motorcylce :) whats the rating i need, and can someone post some links and model names from those links that are legal for the track. (p.s cheap is good too... :) )
Thanks
Mike

A helmet is required for the driver of any car or truck running 13.99 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile at a NHRA sanctioned track. Most drivers can use a helmet meeting SNELL M85, M90, M95, SA85, SA90, SA95 or K98 specifications. Professional category and some alcohol burning vehicles require an SA rated helmet. The helmet rating must be designated on a tag INSIDE the helmet, or sewn to one of the helmet straps. SA2000 is the latest and greatest specification. The last thing I'd go cheap on in terms of safety equipment is the helmet and although an open face may be more comfortable just ask the FFW racer that recently got third degree burns on his face from wearing one and having a fire when he wrecked. Protect your melon and spend that next mod money on something more important by getting an SA2000 full face is my advice.

toke said:
A helmet is required for the driver of any car or truck running 13.99 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile at a NHRA sanctioned track. Most drivers can use a helmet meeting SNELL M85, M90, M95, SA85, SA90, SA95 or K98 specifications. Professional category and some alcohol burning vehicles require an SA rated helmet. The helmet rating must be designated on a tag INSIDE the helmet, or sewn to one of the helmet straps. SA2000 is the latest and greatest specification. The last thing I'd go cheap on in terms of safety equipment is the helmet and although an open face may be more comfortable just ask the FFW racer that recently got third degree burns on his face from wearing one and having a fire when he wrecked. Protect your melon and spend that next mod money on something more important by getting an SA2000 full face is my advice.
Great advice, theres somethings you just dont cheap out on. Think about it, how much is you're melon really worth to you. Even if it makes you save for that next mod a little longer, you'll get a lot of use outta the helmet and you wont ever wonder "will it be ok if I crash?"

I agree with Toke... The helmet is only useful if things go bad.... If things go bad enough to need the helmet, you really want the best you can get.

Get a new full face SA2000 helmet and protect your life. Cars, as they say, are replaceable.... I'd wear a helmet at the track, even if were only running 15's.

Yeah, definitly don't go cheap on a helmet. A good example is me and a friend of mine used regular motorcycle helmets for go kart racing(DOT aprroved, in fact mine is a Shoei) He flipped his kart 3 weeks ago, and still had a grade 1 concussion with a helmet on. Pay attention to the application of the helmet you are buying, my friend learned the hard way, just my 2 cents, :nice:

Anyhelmet that meets or exceeds teh current standards will be fine. If it meets the specs and costs $50 or $550 doesn't matter as long as it meets the specs. More expensive doesn't nessacarily = better.

Never buy used. If in an accident buy a new helmet. As some one else said, they are only good once.

Thanks for the tips guys. does anyone have any links to any sites that sell them, and suggested models? i dont want a "cheap" one. i want one that will protect me obviously. But i dont need to pay extra to save 3 pounds off the weight of the helmet.
Mike

Really, you just want something that's got the proper Snell rating. You can pick and choose among probably hundreds of models. My advice: go to your local motorcycle shop and try on a few of the hats in the store to see what size fits you and what you feel comfy in. I also agree with whoever said the open-face is teh suck. You want as much protection as you can get--who knows what all will be flying around in the car if you prang, you don't want it flying in your face if you can help it. So full chin protection and face shield is good.

nickthegenius said:
Well, I'm going to try my HJC that I wear on my bike. Its just has the regular DOT/Snell95 ratings. If they say anything, then I might spend the money and get a car helmet.

As far as I've ever seen there is no difference or distinction between car and/or motorcycle helmets. The only importent thing is the Snell certification. I never knew the DOT cert was awarded on what ammounts to an honor system. That's crap!

If you wear a helmet at the track that meets current safety rules, you're good to go. I see lots of guys at the local drag strip wearing DOT/Snell MX helmets in their race cars.

I don't think you'll have any problems.

You don't need an SA to drag race (I'm not talking rules, I'm talking function).
The SA is 1) designed to take multiple impacts to a roll cage and 2) has a fire protectant layer. Both these features are almost useless in a stk car on a 1/4. An M helmet will protect you better against you biggest danger, the airbag, since it has better frontal protection. Just throw a thicker eye shield on the M helmet and call it a day.