SCT chip problem

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
This all started right after I installed the SCT chip, so it almost has to be the problem. Every now and then the car will lose all power for a second. Sometimes it misses really bad when cruising, then it will cut out(CE light comes on, engine almost dies) and come right back and run fine for a while. I took the chip out and cleaned the contacts and it did better for a while. Last time I had it out I put some tape on to hold the chip in. I haven't had any problems yet when I turn the chip to the stock setting.

What can I do for this? Do I just have a bad chip? I was thinking about putting some dielectric grease on the connections, would that help? I really don't know what to do next, it's starting to get rather irritating! :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

could it be the tune? Sounds like some parameters are going out of range and the tune can't compensate so it shuts down. If you turn it to stock position and it works, the chip should be ok. take it out and look at it, see if it's burnt or anything.

might be the tune. There are always some parts that need to be tweeked. Some times when i tip in lightly it goes way rich and feels like it looses power.

I have an autometer digital guage for the A/F so even though im not tuning it with the other wide band i can still see why the car is running strange.

It was doing this weird thing at idle where it would shut off and come back on, but that pretty much stopped after I cleaned the contacts on the chip. Also, it ran great for a couple weeks after the tune, it was after I put the computer back in the kick panel that the problem really showed up.

It generally only misses under light load at 1800rpms and below. It seems to do fine at WOT, or even when accelerating 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.