SeaFoam Oopsie

AxlsDemocracy

Mar 6, 2004
OK, so after some reading on here, it seems when I was using the seafoam I bought, I put it in the wrong side of the brake booster line, meaning, I disconnected the hose from the vacuum tree, not the booster, and let the seafoam get sucked up that way.

Did I screw my car up? If you check my other post about SeaFoam, you'll see i didnt get any smoke.

• Sponsors (?)

AxlsDemocracy said:
OK, so after some reading on here, it seems when I was using the seafoam I bought, I put it in the wrong side of the brake booster line, meaning, I disconnected the hose from the vacuum tree, not the booster, and let the seafoam get sucked up that way.

Did I screw my car up? If you check my other post about SeaFoam, you'll see i didnt get any smoke.
As GreenMustangGt already said, you didn't screw anything up. I also agree the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line is a better choice to use, but the brake booster is also good.

As far as getting smoke, it all depends. If your engine doesn't have a lot of deposits, you won't smoke much at all. The longer you leave the Seafoam in, the more smoke you'll get. Here're the instructions I followed:

Let the vacuum hose suck in the Seafoam. Some recommend putting in only 1/3 can, others say 1/2. I usually do 1/2. While sucking in the Seagfoam, the engine won't idle right; you should have to manually bump the throttle to keep the engine from dying. As soon as you've got your 1/3 or 1/2 can in the engine, immediately turn the engine OFF. You should be able to just let the engine die; mine did. If you let the engine run, it'll burn off the Seafoam before it does you any good. Dump the rest of the Seafoam into your gas tank, it'll help clean the fuel injectors of any deposits.

Next, let the engine sit for a while. I'd recommend a half-hour. This gives the Seafoam a change to dissolve the buildup inside the cylinders. After the half-hour, start the car up and go for a drive. If you have any deposits, you'll soon be spewing a James Bond-style smoke screen. My 'stang smoked just a little bit for the first minute or two, then smoked pretty good for 15 minutes afterwards - I felt sorry for the folks behind me. Drive until the exhaust stops smoking, and you'll be done.

95Vert said:
No hijack intended but I'm scared in doing this. I don't know if my compression will drop if I clean out the cylinders. I bought my engine used and not sure how good of a condition it's in.
If there is enough buildup to significantly raise the compression in your motor than your motor is Fed

95Vert said:
No hijack intended but I'm scared in doing this. I don't know if my compression will drop if I clean out the cylinders. I bought my engine used and not sure how good of a condition it's in.
Carbon buildup CAN cause some significant problems, so removing it will reveal them. However, that wouldn't be the Seafoam's fault; the engine was already worn out. For example, if you have major carbon buildup on the cylinder walls, the piston rings will wear down to fit the new smaller diameter. Removing the carbon would then mean your piston rings would be too worn, and you'd likely start burning oil and have lower compression. But having that much carbon buildup is extremely unlikely, and would cause other problems too.

I was nervous like you, but not anymore - I wouldn't hesitate to use Seafoam on any used car now. If the Seafoam revealed some other engine problem, I'd rather know about it then wait for it to break.. It's up to you, really. Just follow the instructions I gave above, and you'll be cool.