searching for a good topcoat wax, polish, sealant etc

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
the car is silver. paint is mostly original and in good shape. 88,000 miles so not perfect but still better than average. im looking for a good topcoat (final step) wax/polish. more than likely this will be rubbed on by hand. for my base, ill be using jeff werkstat's prime strong (WERKSTAT Detailing: Prime). ive used this before will good results. i have several different options of topcoats from him as well but i just dont like how they apply. somewhat difficult to use imo. i wanted to try the zaino z2 pro (Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes: Zaino Store). recently i've noticed zaino adding to the application description that is a must to use the ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator. i want simple, this doesnt seem simple. i also refuse to spend 19.95 on top of the 14.95 for a topcoat formula.

give me some suggestions please.

heres what i want from a topcoat:

- to compliment the werkstat prime strong
- a topcoat: just that. no other steps
- easy on easy off
- no powder
- long lasting protection
- something that really makes it shine
- affordable

i have bought some 'pink wax' at a autoshow last year, but havent tried it yet. not sure if this would work as a topcoat or not. once upon a time, i think it went by the name 'liquid lustre'. crappy website: pink wax

also, as expected from a near 90k car - the front bumper has bug guts all over it. the kind that just doesnt wash off. paint is still good on the bumper but i was wondering, is there anything at there that helps with this? i know this is a common problem. wondering if there was a alternative other than re painting.

thanks for any suggestions guys

• Sponsors (?)

Based on your post, i probably wont be able to help much since your knowledge is > my knowledge on this stuff lol.

But are you a member on autopia or whatever that detailing forum is? Im sure this type of question has been asked a million times over there.

Based on your post, i probably wont be able to help much since your knowledge is > my knowledge on this stuff lol.

But are you a member on autopia or whatever that detailing forum is? Im sure this type of question has been asked a million times over there.

man, i wouldnt go that far. im sure you know more than i do about it. i know a little but not alot.

not a member there but thats a good suggestion. i think ill see about signin up :nice:

still hope to get a few suggestions here also

Gotta tell you, Zaino is the s*it. I love it. It makes my fading black look rich and deep again. The ZFX is not entirely necessary, but without it you have to wait for the wax to "cure" before putting on another coat. But the ZFX is easy to use. Think of it as a two-part wax; you mix it before you use it, and you only have to mix what you want to use that day. Basically, the ZFX lets the wax "cure" faster so you can do multiple coats in one day.

I don't find it any more complex than the Meguires wax I used to use. I used to do the three-step Meguires wax, so Zaino is actually easier.

Gotta tell you, Zaino is the s*it. I love it. It makes my fading black look rich and deep again. The ZFX is not entirely necessary, but without it you have to wait for the wax to "cure" before putting on another coat. But the ZFX is easy to use. Think of it as a two-part wax; you mix it before you use it, and you only have to mix what you want to use that day. Basically, the ZFX lets the wax "cure" faster so you can do multiple coats in one day.

I don't find it any more complex than the Meguires wax I used to use. I used to do the three-step Meguires wax, so Zaino is actually easier.

i constantly hear that zaino is the berries. the only thing that the zfx does, is allow for faster curing time? have you used the Z-2 PRO? how do you like it? is more than one coat neccessary?

thanks!

man, i wouldnt go that far. im sure you know more than i do about it. i know a little but not alot.

not a member there but thats a good suggestion. i think ill see about signin up :nice:

still hope to get a few suggestions here also

Yea that place is awesome. I have spent many hours reading there....but i really need to get a notepad and take notes. There is too much info to just try to take it all in at once.

Perhaps searching for silver will uncover some threads for your use.

i constantly hear that zaino is the berries. the only thing that the zfx does, is allow for faster curing time? have you used the Z-2 PRO? how do you like it? is more than one coat neccessary?

Let's say first that I ain't selling Zaino, nor am I a spokesperson for 'em. But I am absolutely in love with the stuff, it makes my 16-year old paint shine like new.

I have not used Z2 Pro, only 'cause I still have most of a bottle of Z2 (the earlier formula). ZFX is not necessary if you only want to put one coat on within a 24 hour period. Zaino is technically a chemical polymer, not a wax, so Z2 needs about 24 hours to cure between coats. ZFX shortens that cure time so you can put on a second coat right away.

Even though Zaino is expensive, you really don't use that much to cover the car. The instructions say to put in on as thin as possible, so thin it doesn't look like you're putting enough on. I can put on two coats just using 1 ounce of Z2, and still have a little left over. It takes a bit of practice to get it that thin, so your first few times you'll use too much. Even if you use an entire ounce per coat, that's 8 coats per bottle. That's better than I ever got with Meguires.

You don't need multiple coats, but since Zaino is a polymer you can put it on in layers. If your paint is in good shape, I doubt you'd notice multiple layers. In my case, my paint's showing its age (and it's black), so I've seen an improvement with two coats.

Let's say first that I ain't selling Zaino, nor am I a spokesperson for 'em. But I am absolutely in love with the stuff, it makes my 16-year old paint shine like new.

I have not used Z2 Pro, only 'cause I still have most of a bottle of Z2 (the earlier formula). ZFX is not necessary if you only want to put one coat on within a 24 hour period. Zaino is technically a chemical polymer, not a wax, so Z2 needs about 24 hours to cure between coats. ZFX shortens that cure time so you can put on a second coat right away.

Even though Zaino is expensive, you really don't use that much to cover the car. The instructions say to put in on as thin as possible, so thin it doesn't look like you're putting enough on. I can put on two coats just using 1 ounce of Z2, and still have a little left over. It takes a bit of practice to get it that thin, so your first few times you'll use too much. Even if you use an entire ounce per coat, that's 8 coats per bottle. That's better than I ever got with Meguires.

You don't need multiple coats, but since Zaino is a polymer you can put it on in layers. If your paint is in good shape, I doubt you'd notice multiple layers. In my case, my paint's showing its age (and it's black), so I've seen an improvement with two coats.

you are starting to sell me on zaino. maybe you should be a spokesperson on it :p

what do u think about using it after the werkstat prime strong application?

I did a bit on research on Werkstatt's, and it does seem to be pretty good. Didn't find anyone that used both products, so I can't say how well they will work together. One comparison had a good point; Z2 does not have any abrasives in it, so it doesn't clean the paint. I think there's a specific Zaino for that, but anyway. Zaino suggests you wash he car with dish washing soap to clean off any old waxes to leave you with clean paint. Be aware, dish washing soap will also remove Zaino. After the first coat, you can probably wash with most any car wash. I use Zaino's Z7 car wash, which is also really concentrated; I use two tiny capfuls to wash the whole car. I'd also recommend picking up a bottle of Z8 for that extra gloss after Z2.

I did a bit on research on Werkstatt's, and it does seem to be pretty good. Didn't find anyone that used both products, so I can't say how well they will work together. One comparison had a good point; Z2 does not have any abrasives in it, so it doesn't clean the paint. I think there's a specific Zaino for that, but anyway. Zaino suggests you wash he car with dish washing soap to clean off any old waxes to leave you with clean paint. Be aware, dish washing soap will also remove Zaino. After the first coat, you can probably wash with most any car wash. I use Zaino's Z7 car wash, which is also really concentrated; I use two tiny capfuls to wash the whole car. I'd also recommend picking up a bottle of Z8 for that extra gloss after Z2.

the prime should do the abrasion part. for a topcoat im still considering the z2 pro. however, now im thinking about going with the z5 instead. from what i understand, its pretty much the same as the z2 but it should help conceal any swirls that the prime doesnt take care of.

the z5 can be used as a topcoat, right? what do you think?

I've always used the Mother's 3-phase system myself; not sure how the pre-wax stage you're doing with a buffer compares with doing that by hand, but their topcoat wax is a pure carnauba wax - no added cleaners, etc. It's easy on/off, etc. and gives a nice shine, but being a natural carnauba wax, it won't meet your no-powder item when buffing off. Not sure how important that one is to you.

the prime should do the abrasion part. for a topcoat im still considering the z2 pro. however, now im thinking about going with the z5 instead. from what i understand, its pretty much the same as the z2 but it should help conceal any swirls that the prime doesnt take care of.

the z5 can be used as a topcoat, right? what do you think?

Z5 is a topcoat just like the Z2 Pro. If your paint is swirled up then it's a better choice than Z2 Pro IMO.

I've always used the Mother's 3-phase system myself; not sure how the pre-wax stage you're doing with a buffer compares with doing that by hand, but their topcoat wax is a pure carnauba wax - no added cleaners, etc. It's easy on/off, etc. and gives a nice shine, but being a natural carnauba wax, it won't meet your no-powder item when buffing off. Not sure how important that one is to you.

i really like the look and feel carnuba yields but the longevity of it just isnt there :( . sure does make the paint slick tho

Z5 is a topcoat just like the Z2 Pro. If your paint is swirled up then it's a better choice than Z2 Pro IMO.

i may go with the z5 as a topcoat after applying the prime strong.

i emailed the werkstat company today asking them if their products had a curing time ( like the zaino stuff ) . below is reponse. notice what he says about a 3rd party waxes/polishes ( i think that only pertains tho those that have petro dis. in them tho. zaino is all clean, no additives from what i understand )

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for contacting the Werkstat.

The Prime Strong shares the same rate of cure as the other Primes. The vast majority of the chemical curing is completed within a half hour of application. So in a typical process, by the time you're ready to topcoat, enough time has usually elapsed. The full curing of the last tiny bit may take 24 hours depending on environmental conditions. This usually isn't anything to change your routine for, particularly when topcoating with another Werkstat product. However, for very best results, if using a 3rd party topcoat that has a high percentage of petroleum solvents, it is best to let the Prime cure a day or two before application. That will ensure the best adhesion without interference from the harsher solvents. But in most cases, a half hour cure time is beautifully sufficient.

Happy Detailing!
Werkstat Product Development