seat belt fix?

• Sponsors (?)

Usually that kind of thing comes from the rewind mechanism getting dirty or worn over years of use. You could try to clean it, but I'd rather replace it. I'd rather spend some money than go through the windshield.

BTW, mine does it too. I just give it a quick tug and it rewinds fairly fast.

I think that late model resto has new ones.

For a quick fix, I just opened up the housing that holds the retractor and wound the metal band inside it tighter. I think that the reason it quit working is because the metalband that is wound inside it came unwound. The factory just bends up a small tab at the end of it. The problem is that either this tab bends back almost straight, or the plastic that holds the tab breaks. If the plastic is broken then you need a new retractor. Mine was fine so I just slid the end of the band out of the housing and bent it back, then I took a butane torch to it (I figured this might harden the metal so it wouldn't bend out of shape again).

DON'T REMOVE THE WHOLE BAND, THIS WILL BE A PITA TO GET BACK IN!! If it unwinds then just wind it up again, just not too tight as it will bind up, and too loose will not work either.

I hope this helps. If you have questions, just PM me. Later.

Mo' Town :flag:

jerry beach said:
Anyone ever notice, when you open the door it retracts? i dont wear my seatbelts much at all, but I have noticed this.

YUP! My 86 has a button that pops out when the door is opened, then the belt retracts normally.

FIX: Try inspecting and cleaning the retractor as suggested. If that doesn't help you will have to buy new ones.