Progress Thread Seriously? Another Boosted Coyote Swap Build? - Still Slowly Moving Forward

There is no turning back now, unless I buy a new cradle. Marked the rear IRS mounts and cut away.

411836.jpg

041781.jpg

749009.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I have a couple designs worked out for the hard tail mount and have started cutting metal. I'm making everything out of 10 gauge steel. I haven't finalized on the design yet but am hoping to be 90% there by the end of day Sunday. I'll share pics of what I came up with. It's going to be based off this design, but with a little more support. I just can't be like everyone else.

irshardtail.jpg

To anyone that has an IRS on their vehicle, any chance you could measure the distance from the bottom-inside of the wheel well to the middle of the bolt hole in the upper mount? This is the only question I have so far as I don't know exactly where the mount is supposed to be located. I looked at ALOT of pictures of the swap and came up with about 2 1/2" but would like a confirmation before I start welding.

irsmountingdistance.jpg

I'll see if I can get a measurement this evening. The front of my car is in the air so it might be a little difficult.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a couple designs worked out for the hard tail mount and have started cutting metal. I'm making everything out of 10 gauge steel. I haven't finalized on the design yet but am hoping to be 90% there by the end of day Sunday. I'll share pics of what I came up with. It's going to be based off this design, but with a little more support. I just can't be like everyone else.

To anyone that has an IRS on their vehicle, any chance you could measure the distance from the bottom-inside of the wheel well to the middle of the bolt hole in the upper mount? This is the only question I have so far as I don't know exactly where the mount is supposed to be located. I looked at ALOT of pictures of the swap and came up with about 2 1/2" but would like a confirmation before I start welding.
My $.02,
1) make sure you not only bolt the hard tail to the side of the frame (quad shock location) but to the bottom too like it was designed to do on Terminators from the factory. Maybe you could use 2x2 angle.
2) it's too late now but you should have bolted in the cradle and then unbolted/cut/fab'd up one tail at a time. This would greatly reduce any shifting the cradle might do when you unbolt and begin to modify. This would help ensure everything stays square.
3) like Scott (90sickfox), I will provide the measurement you are requesting when I get home later tonight. My car is already up anyway.

Last edited:
My $.02,
1) make sure you not only bolt the hard tail to the side of the frame (quad shock location) but to the bottom too like it was designed to do on Terminators from the factory. Maybe you could use 2x2 angle.
2) it's too late now but you should have bolted in the cradle and then unbolted/cut/fab'd up one tail at a time. This would greatly reduce any shifting the cradle might do when you unbolt and begin to modify. This would help ensure everything stays square.
3) like Scott (90sickfox), I will provide the measurement you are requesting when I get home later tonight. My car is already up anyway.

(1) I am definitely bolting it to the bottom of the frame, I already ordered 1/2" weld nuts for that. I'm also thinking about partial wrapping the rear portion of the frame and bolting through to gain some more strength. I'm looking at a couple other things possibly, but am working through the load/deflection calculations to see if it'll be worth while
(2) I thought about that, but I don't have subframe brackets to bolt too anyways. When I test fit the subframe I did fully install/torque the front bushings into the subframe and took measurements from the upper control arm mounts to body points, various spots on the irs subrframe to body points, and the side to side fitment of the existing bushings to get and record some measurements. I also measured to align the irs on the frame, which is was spot on with the front bolted in. I'm also going to reinstall the subframe and realign before I start doing any welding. I will tack everything in place before I remove everything and finish weld. Hopefully that will keep everything inline, I could be completely wrong.
(3) I really appreciate it, thanks!!!!!!!!

I checked mine...very hard to get to the bolt with my wheels on and front in the air. I measure from the bottom of the bracket to the center of the exhaust hanger.

IMG_20180113_170754502.jpg

That measurement would be about 8 inches even....with the addition of the two 1/16 stacked plates that make the bracket. The actual measurement would be 8 1/16th with the tip of the tape.

Just found this thread and read it through. Awesome work! I am biased, but I dig the IRS! I live in the Philly area and love the fact that you are a road race guy! Someday I would like to play on a road course like NJMP. I will follow along and can’t wait to see the finished product.

I checked mine...very hard to get to the bolt with my wheels on and front in the air. I measure from the bottom of the bracket to the center of the exhaust hanger.

IMG_20180113_170754502.jpg

That measurement would be about 8 inches even....with the addition of the two 1/16 stacked plates that make the bracket. The actual measurement would be 8 1/16th with the tip of the tape.

Awesome, thanks man! With those measurements and the one's FoxMustangLvr got me, I should have plenty of reference points to get this thing aligned...... I hope. I owe ya both a beer now!

Just found this thread and read it through. Awesome work! I am biased, but I dig the IRS! I live in the Philly area and love the fact that you are a road race guy! Someday I would like to play on a road course like NJMP. I will follow along and can’t wait to see the finished product.

Thanks man, I'm doing my best to have this turn out well. It'll be a long process, so you might be waiting awhile, buy it should be fun in the end :rock:

If you can ever get out to NJMP, definitely do it. Another one that's close and is a lot of fun IMO is Summit Point. I like the main course nowadays but the Shenandoah course is awesome also, just watch out for deer. When I bought my house I went a couple years without being on a track and it drove me insane. I love a good drag race, but there's just something about being on an open track.

Thanks man, I'm doing my best to have this turn out well. It'll be a long process, so you might be waiting awhile, buy it should be fun in the end :rock:

If you can ever get out to NJMP, definitely do it. Another one that's close and is a lot of fun IMO is Summit Point. I like the main course nowadays but the Shenandoah course is awesome also, just watch out for deer. When I bought my house I went a couple years without being on a track and it drove me insane. I love a good drag race, but there's just something about being on an open track.

Haha! There is a disparity in our “status”. But that all sounds awesome! When my girlfriend, now wife, got pregnant with our daughter in 1996 I did a shifter kart school in San Diego and a Skip Barber school at Las Vegas speedway during the week of the blizzard of 1996. I figured what the heck... Once you start a family it’s all over. So I got it out of my system... well mostly.

I would like to add that when I drive a stick shift vehicle I am a heel-toe downshifting fool. It’s a shame that manual shifting is going away because I pride myself on being pretty good at it.

This an awesome build and have following from the start. You do some awesome work with great attention to detail.

I am building mine as well for mainly the street but also take it to the road course. I live in the mountains and is so much fun to drive.