Engine Serpentine belt length

Diesel1277

Sep 26, 2019
Tolland ct
Hey guys I tried to take a look and couldn’t find the length of the belt to delete the smog pump, ac, and power steering. I have found the way to run it but there are no lengths provided for this setup. I’m looking for a rough belt length if nobody has a number that definitely fits.i have attached a picture of the route I’m talking about. I have a stock rotation waterpump. I appreciate the help guys!

Attachments

• DABDE2A2-4A46-4B98-9D8B-2BF232C70A68.png
    DABDE2A2-4A46-4B98-9D8B-2BF232C70A68.png
    427.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Sponsors (?)

I still have mine from when I did that. I believe it's 30.5". I did mine with a stock (reverse rotation) waterpump and a March alternator bracket and turnbuckle. No tensioner. Never a problem.

You’ll have to string it. Unless you find someone with the exact same setup as you, belt lengths will be different. Different pullies or brackets will change all that.

Even better, use one of those tape measure strings tailors use for a suit. Head to local auto parts store, but 3-4 belts and test fit.

Are you changing to the standard rotation pump setup? Not enough belt wrap on the reverse pump setup in your pic. I would worry about the water pump pulley slipping in that setup, especially at higher RPM

So.....his post says "looking for rough belt length." I gave him the actual belt length from the same setup that I ran....in real life. Sure there will be variations with different pulleys. But he asked for rough length to get him close. Am I missing something? Or did I just dream that I posted that....
I also ran it on a pretty high hp (at the time) engine with "zero problems." What next? Tell him it won't work?
This kinda stuff normally doesn't bother me. I must have a fever.

I avoided this nonsense by buying the smog delete pulley.
All that did was add another pulley on the same side as all the rest. So all it changed was the length of belt for you. The difficulty (supposedly) is not having a pulley on the other side to get some belt wrap on the waterpump...and "tensioning" the belt. Again, I actually ran just the alternator, waterpump, and crank for years with zero issues using a stainless steel turnbuckle to tension the belt. Like this but no idler pulley.
Screenshot_2019-12-01-09-14-39-1.png

I wouldnt go with a aftermarket pulley. Price and aftermarket is crap. I keep my toys for a long time . and I see my 5 and 7 yr. old aftermarket crap go bad and it pisses me off . Iv had my Tacoma for 23 years replaced Head and tail lights twice . 4 fuel pumps . and numerous other crappy made in China rip-offs.