Setting up gears

10secgoal

Dec 1, 2003
San Diego
So (ShelbyClone:D ) I've got my pig out with the spool and 4.11's right now. I've got a stocker dogleg with 2.75's in it right now. I just won a set of 3.27's online and when I get them I want to put them in with the spool.Right now with the dogleg and the axle seal leaking and getting the shoes on the pass side wet, I can only build 2 psi sitting still. So the main question is now matter what the gear ratio, the drive and coast pattern should be the same right ? I figure I can pull out the 4.11's and copy the pattern on the ring gear to make it work for the 3.27's. Anybody do it ? Seems pretty easy. I know basically how to set it, and get the backlash needed. Honestly, just afraid of having to do it twice.

• Sponsors (?)

unless the settup instructions say different, then the tooth patterns are going to be the same regardless of gear ratio. sometimes a manufacturer will have a different pattern to reduce noise, or lengthen service life.

You can look in a factory manual for some good pictures of proper gear wear patterns. The gear should be marked with the pinion depth and backlash which must be done first before you check the pattern. Last month I changed mine from 4:11 to 3:55. You will need a shim pack and gear marking compound (in the same kit) which you can get from Summit or Jegs for about $30.

I'd leave the spool with the 4.11's set up and put a mini spool in another pumpkin with the 3.27's. Of course, I have no idea what spline axles you have, so a mini may not be an option.

The pattern I've always seen is pretty much centered on the teeth. If they're used gears, you should set them up where the pattern already is, if they're new, were they pre run?

It's a pre run set. Got 'em off ebay for 40 bucks. Why mini spool ? I still want the spool, just not the gears. But I don't want to buy another spool either.I also only have two pigs. One that is out (4.11's and spool) and the other that's in the car(2.75 open).
Huey I was looking at that kit, does it come with a crush sleeve or is that it ?

CHECK THIS OUT...

RPM CALCULATOR
Miles Per Hour 65 / 65
Tire Diameter In Inches 28"/25.5"
Axle Ratio 3.27/4.11
Transmission Gear Ratio - 3rd gear 1:1/ .67 aod 4th

2553 RPMS @ 65/ 2360RPMS AOD

you'll be cruising close to the same RPM as me with my 4.11's and AOD- but i can't get on it in OD...

BTW ... you suck beeatch!

A spool and 3.27:1 seems to be an unusual combination.

Most guys running 3.5:1 or higher like LSDs, and most guys running spools are well below ~4.0:1 (ratio wise not numerically of course).

10secgoal said:
It's a pre run set. Got 'em off ebay for 40 bucks. Why mini spool ? I still want the spool, just not the gears. But I don't want to buy another spool either.I also only have two pigs. One that is out (4.11's and spool) and the other that's in the car(2.75 open).
Huey I was looking at that kit, does it come with a crush sleeve or is that it ?

Some kits come with a crush sleeve and some don't but you will need one. Try "RAT-106K" in Summit. $30 kit if you don't need bearings.

thehueypilot said:
Some kits come with a crush sleeve and some don't but you will need one. Try "RAT-106K" in Summit. $30 kit if you don't need bearings.
Yeah, I'll reuse the bearings on the spool. But I may need to buy the crush sleeve seperate, and get a bearing for the pinion. I know I can get that stuff locally though. Thanx for the part#. It would be nice to get this done before I go to the track next time. Bleh, but so much to do, so little time.

One more very important show stopper install note....... If you do not have a "bearing splitter" you will not get the bearing off the pinion gear shaft without messing it up. You will need a hyd press as well to remove/install all the tappered roller bearings.